Help...looking at Quintet vs. System 6

Mitch

I am looking to install a hi-fi speaker system in my living room. I wouldn't go anywhere but klipsch for this solution, so I am currently looking at the Quintets, and the system 6...and possibly even the promdia 5.1's. I am not looking for a system to fit with a home entertainment system. I have no TV, dvd player, etc. Just a nice cd player. From what I have heard, the system 6 is most likely what I need to fill a living room properly with abundant sound. But I am curious about the speakers in the system 6. There seems to be speakers designated for fronts, and rears. Well, I don't need these, because I won't be watching movies. I simply want equal sound from all speakers. If I had the system 6 divided into the 4 ceiling corners of the room, would the "rear" speakers sound different than the "front" speakers while simply playing a cd? The rears seemed to have a different shape, vs the quintets which appear identical. Also, in the specifications of this website, it lists, under the sub, AMPLIFIER: Class A/B discrete MOSFET outputs

AMPLIFIER POWER: 225 watts dynamic power

for both the quintets and the system 6. Does this imply that there is a built in amplifier on the sub for these systems? If not, I would need to purchase a reviever, where as with the promedia 5.1's, there is already a nice, 500 watt rms amp. So I am stuck between these 3 systems. Help is greatfully appreciated.

Mitch,

The power specs that you are refering to are for the subwoofer. Niether the quintet, or any speaker in the system 6 are powered... therefore you will need some type of amplification. I honestly have never heard the quintets, but at one time I owned the predecessor... the Rebel, which I think was a rather large failure for Klipsch. I have also owned a pair... that is a pair of KSB 1.1's, which is what the system 6 is based on. Those little 1.1's were like night and day compared to the small Rebel sats that I previously owned. I think your best bet would be to spend the extra money and go with the system 6 and a receiver.

With that being said, it begs for another question and possibly a more long term solution for you.

Is there a reason that you must have a multi-channel system if all you are listening to is music? The best option IMHO would be to scrap the idea of multi-channel and go with traditional 2-channel. With the same investment, you could get a pair of better speakers within the Klipsch line... well just name any of them: Heritage, Reference, etc. I guarantee you will find a more pleasing sound, by investing more into the main speakers and less on the surround effect, especially if you are listening to music exclusively. You can always upgrade to mult-channel in the future.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

This message has been edited by jeffgeorge on 10-12-2001 at 06:10 PM

JG asks a good question about the need for all these speakers just for music, but assuming you're a big fan of DTS audio or DVD-A or some other multi-channel music format, go with 5 of the same speakers. Skip getting the SS-.5s/SC-.5 of the System 6. Get more of the fronts (the SB-1s or SB-2s) since you don't need the wide dispersion of the SS-.5s, which is intended mostly for HT application.

And, yes, you'll need a receiver/amp to drive all the speakers except the sub. The ProMedia's are nice sounding, but they will not sound anywhere near as good as the SB-x with a KSW-12 sub...

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver

Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1283646392

slap one of these in each corner, buy a couple of good amps and you'll have a kickin system.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains

Polk C-175 center

Infintiy RS-10 Surrounds

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Yeah, I understand that I may only need a 2 speaker setup for strictly music purposes, but I would like to have a surround feel to the room. Lets just say I go with 2 pair of SB-1's. What would be the best way to mount these in ceiling corners?