Fisher 500B Tube Receiver - Any Good With Cornwalls?

eq_shadimar

Chris,

I took no offense to your post at all (in fact, I rather enjoyed it). I just don't want to get involved in an unproductive thread arguing about tube verses solid state rectification.

By the way, neither yours, nor Ray's nor KH's posts were out hand.

I come here to smile, and I'm pretty committed to helping others do the same!

Three mile smile here,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-16-2001 at 07:02 PM

I would just like to add that when I discuss things, are debate, or even disagree, it should in no way be thought of as an unproductive thing; quite the contrary, I think it can be extremely productive as when people discuss and debate, sometimes agree, sometimes not, it moves your understanding forward, hopefully, with both sides.

I guess I grew up in a family that always discussed politics, ideas, movies, philosophy, music, etc. To me, if reason and tact are employed, it is very worthwhile to exchange ideas, and push them forward to a more complete understanding. Obviously, perception is involved as well as the relative nature of how developed one's senses are to subtle differences or similarities. Regardless, there is no reason whatsoever to think debate is a bad thing, especially if not hostile. But sometimes, even hostility and emotions can creep in, and once again, it shouldnt be any reason to shy away, for most people can regain their better composure, pushing their emotions and self-esteem issues to the wayside, below the logic level.

Frankly, I have enjoyed most of my discussions of this nature. I have especially enjoyed Tom Brennan's input as his horn experience is a dramatic departure from where I stand (although I was around PA systems quite a bit in the past). Hence, I can learn a bit from his perspective, and I think he can learn a bit from mine as well, for once you lock yourself into one track, you sometimes start losing the overall picture.

So have no fear of debate, my Klipsch compatriots. Actually, I am not a true compatriot yet as the Cornwalls are still 300 miles away.

kh

f>s>

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

ProAc Mini Towers

Alternate System:

EICO HF-81

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7af>s>

KH,

I agree with you, I too like a good, productive debate as much as the next guy. There's just been too many threads turn ugly lately and I don't want to sign my name to it. Just like those speaker wire debates. The tone of these posts is very hard to convey, five different people will read it five different ways. I also, sometimes unsuccessfully, try to stick to the original topic of the thread. Speaking of which...

EQ,

When are you getting your Fisher unit? I was listening to my 500C the other day, and man, it does sound good. In addition to the great sound and glowing tubes, you'll also be amazed how incredibly heavy the unit is - feels like 30 to 35 pounds to me. Excellent quality.

Regards,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Okies -

Well the receiver finally arrived today. It appears to be in good working order except the wooden case which fell apart as soon as I took it out of the shipping box. Oh well I can fix that.

I have done a quick check using some RS Minmus 7 speakers that I have laying around and I actually get sound. It seems that the input that works best is the AUX input. All the others seem too low or too high. Does this seem right to you guys?

I need to run out and get some connectors and other pieces parts to hook it up. I will post here later tonight after I get the Cornwalls connected and play around with everything a little bit.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

eq_shad you got me thinking ...when I was 13 or so I remember my dads new wife moved in with her a fisher tube reciever and some other tube component. The reciever unit was much smaller than regular sized stereo recievers of that era. Maybe 10" x 10" with no cover over the tubes. It was never used after that and just sat in my closet. I pulled it out one day and hooked it up to some tv speakers I had rescued from the dump. It worked! I bet those things are still sitting in that same exact closet after 20 years. I can't wait to check when I go home for xmas! :D

See, It's true I am copying everything you do! Smile.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-05-2001 at 06:46 PM