Swan Songs--favorite artist's final recording . . .

Allan Songer

I spent most of the afternoon listening to Teddy Edwards. Teddy was a special player and I really thought of him as a friend. I heard him play at least 100 times live over the last 25 years of his life and I own every recording he made (at least I think I do!). Teddy was the FIRST tenor man to play bebop (according to Fats Navarro) and he spent his whole career in Los Angeles in relative obscurity.

His final release was "Smooth Sailing" on High Note records and it's a really fitting summation of a long and productive career. It's a quartet date--which is great becasue all of my favoirte Teddy Edwards records are quartet dates! Anyway, Teddy was 78 and dying of bone cancer when he recorded this album and I just flat out LOVE this record.

Order yourself a copy today--you will thank me!!

Cover Image

http://www.jazzdepot.com/t_edwards/7088.html

Well I guess you could include LZ Coda but it was just a mishmash of whatever was left over.

Guitarist Mick Ronson was dying of cancer, so all the guys he worked during his career got together and did a CD of favorite tunes. Called Heaven and Hull, because he came from the town of Hull, England. Joe Elliot from Def Leppard, David Bowie, Chrissie Hynde, John Mellencamp, and Ian Hunter appear. Very moving songs. Very touching is a song about the fear of death called 'Don't look Down' and a guitar instrumental called Midnight Love.

1994 Epic EK53796

Michael

I find myself listening to Teddy Edwards at least every other day. The last album I played last night was Teddy's Ready. Every album of his I've ever heard is great. Teddy and Art Pepper seem to take up a large chunk of my listening time these days.

Thanks for finally posting something of substance buddy, and have a great holiday![;)]