New Crossovers

Jareb

I've been listening to the "thrift store" Klipschorns for a few days now and continue to be impressed with the overall sound. I've read many posts in the archives concerning the need to replace the old crossover networks. They have the K500-5000 networks, which I assume was original to 1960. They look like they have 45 years of crud on them :} I'm somewhat confused as to the differences between ALK and Dean etc replacements and would like some advice on where to go with this conversion. What would be the advantage to using either one and any sound differences or observations are appreciated.

Thanks

John

You have 16 ohm tweeters and to be able to use any of the newer networks you should update them to the K-77. An alternative is simply to have yours restored/refurbished. I would rebuild from the ground up and use modern polypropylene capacitors to replace the motor runs -- which by now are just about completely shot.

post-3205-13819278278254_thumb.jpg

Any good polypropylene caps will be fine. I like the GE poly in oil cans like in the picture above mostly because I think they will last a very long time since they are manufactured to industrial specs.

One thing we should mention is that there is more than one configuration of the K500/5000 crossover. You would really have to see which one you have by seeing what values of parts you have.

I would rebuild them for you or provide you a set of the caps if you want.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net