The Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Beacon Theater

Steve_L

Filmed and recorded March 25 and 26 2003 at the Beacon Theater in NYC.

** (2 stars out of 5)

Let me start this by saying I love the Allman Brothers. They were MY band in 1971 and they are one of MY bands today. Their latest iteration is a powerhouse guitar duo of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. The rest of the band is of course Gregg Allman vocals, B3 and paino, Jaimoe and Butch Trucks on Drums, Marc Quinones on Congas, Oteil Burbridge on bass. I've seen these guys live and they are great and can rock the house down and have done it plenty of times.

It's a two disc set. Lots of extras and interviews and all of that. If you like the Allman Bros, you need this DVD set.

But, although there are a few moments of goodness, the overall quality of the performance, is mediocre, they all seem like they are over-tired and not UP for it. Not only that, but the quality of the audio is remote, lacks detail and presence and is just awful, regardless of the processing, either DTS and/or DD5.1 both suck. On top of that, the video is grainy.

This is most unfortunate because to my knowledge it is the only DVD that is in a multi-channel format and represents the Allman Brothers in it's current configuration and they are sooooo much better than this DVD.

It's okay, don't get me wrong... but don't put this on anywhwere in the same month as the Eagles HFO or Farewll Tour, or Steely Dan's 2 Against Nature, or any of Clapton's recent live concerts that are all five stars. It's too bad, because those guys all make this version of the "Bros" look and sound like a garage band and most of not all of the fault lies in the sound and video engineering.

Allman Brothers fan? But the DVD, but be prepared to be disappointed.

Anyone else feeling this way?

I'm off to go put on the 2 Against Nature DVD and enjoy some fine audio/video.

Well, for some reason the sound just seems somewhat muffled, like it isn't miked properly, or they are taking the signal off the sound board poorly or something.. I don't know much about modern recording best practices, but it's not only a poor audio quality compared to 2 Against Nature, it's just plain poor. And there's no use of the reas rurrounds what-so-ever that I can hear. Not even for any audience applause or anything. Maybe I'm just too tough, but for such a great band it is such a shame to have such a poor example of their performance.

I need to get the older (but maybe better) Great Woods performance. I hope it's better.

I gotta say, it compares poorly to so much else in my DVD concert library, but that's prolly because I bought all the rest of it, (well most of it) based on the recommendations I got here.

I just picked up the Eagles Farewell I Tour. ....Yahoo, crank it up! Now there's an example of great engineering AND a great band. Joe Walsh is in his glory.

I hear that. I honestl LOVE the Allman Brothers but have yet to see/hear a live recoding that does them jusice. I have their greatest hits live album as well as various DVD/CD volumes and they just don't convey the power this band is capable of. I cannot even fathom the power of "blue bird" or "melissa" live yet all their live recordings leave me cold.