hey Michael Hurd get that kidney ready to sell

iwillwalk

a nieghbor that I 'grew-up' with, he was 2 years my elder, ALWAYS had the sweetest Gen 1 Camaros

I remember riding with him and having the time of my then short life (with careless disregard for my own longevity) as he literally tore the shitemuslim out of several.

of all the extremely beautiful classic iron he either wrapped around trees, flipped when dropping a wheel off the asphalt at 130 mph or ran off and into the water on 'River Road', I really wish I could have 'saved' the Blue w/ white Rally stripped '69 Camaro RS/SS 427

damn fool must have sent at least 23 or 24 "Dream-Cars" to the scrap heap [:$]

VERY NICE CAR!
But stillrather have one of these 2:

(not the gts but the one talked about in the last paragraph

1968 Dodge Dart GTS

dodge-dart-1968a.jpg

Comments: Dodge introduced a new GTS trim for its Dodge Dart line to compete against Chevy's Nova SS. The hot GTS was available with either a standard 340 cid V8 with 275 bhp or an optional 383 V8 with 300 bhp. Coupled with its light 3,000 pound curb weight, the Dodge Dart GTS did very well on the street and the track. Unfortunately, the extra weight of the 383 tended to negate the power advantage of the 383 over the 340. Furthermore, the 340 was rumored to actually produce over 300 bhp which helps explains the lack of improvement with the 383 engine. Other technical enhancements included a low-restriction exhaust system with chrome tips, Rallye suspension, 14x5.5 inch wheel rims and E70-14 Red Streak tires. A three-on-the-tree manual transmission was standard, though most GTS models were sold with either a four-speed Hurst floor shift manual or a competition-type Torque-Flite automatic transmission. Identifying the GTS were hood power bulges with air vents, body side racing stripes, special GTS emblems, and simulated mag wheel covers. A rear end "bumble bee" stripe was a no cost option. Vinyl bucket seats were standard in the $2,611 hardtop and optional in the $3,383 convertible.

But another option awaited those wanting even more performance. For a special few, Dodge shipped 383-spec Darts (minus Powertrain) along with factory prepped 440 engines to Hurst-Campbell, Inc., a Michigan after-market company. Hurst-Campbell did the conversion, Dodge reps inspected it, and the finished cars were forwarded to Grand Spaulding Auto Sales in Chicago, a performance-oriented dealer. These cars got vehicle identification numbers, but were not covered by the factory warranty. With even more weight over the front wheels and no power steering (it wouldn't fit), the 440 Darts were only good for all out drag racing. Most modified 440 Darts also received additional performance parts such as aftermarket headers, ignition kit, hoses, wiring, and air cleaner.

As if that wasn't enought, approximately 80 Darts were fitted with the 426 Hemi. But this wasn't just a engine swap. They featured a fiberglass hood and front fenders, a front bumper and doors stamped out of a lighter gauge steel, special one-layer Corning Glass for the side windows (which did not meet DOT standards for use on public roads), no door window mechanisms, and no exterior side mirrors, all in an attempt to save weight. The weight saving measures continued inside with the deletion of the rear seat, the radio, and the replacement of the front seats with special lightweight van seats mounted on custom-fabricated aluminum mounting brackets. There was no insulation, no undercoating or sealers were used, and even the right side seatbelt was removed. Under the hood, the brake master cylinder was moved to clear the cylinder head, and rubber brake lines were used instead of metal so that they could be removed for access to the valve cover without disturbing the brake hydraulic system. The actual Hemi engine featured a pair of Holley carbs on a magnesium cross-ram intake. Iron heads (instead of aluminum) were used to keep the cost down. A heavy duty cooling package was standard, as well as headers, but the cars were delievered with no paint -- just primer and naked black fiberglass from the cowl forward on cheap black wheels with skinny tires. Final cost per car was around $4,500, and to make sure that the cars were raced and NOT driven on public streets, every Hemi Dart came with a sticker that stated that "This vehicle was not manufactured for use on Public Streets, Roads or Highways, and does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. But they definitely performed on the track, and would hit 10's in the quarter miles with minimal modification. This would make it the fastest factory built car in muscle car history.

Production:
GTS: 8,745
440: 68
Hemi: 80

Engines:
340 V8 275 bhp @ 5000 rpm, 340 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm.
383 V8 300 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 400 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm.
440 V8 375 bhp @ 4600 rpm, 480 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm.

Performance:
340/270: 0-60 in 6.0 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.2 seconds.
440/375: 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.3 seconds @ 107 mph

or

Dodge Daytona

History

dodge-daytona-1a.jpg

Introduction: The Dodge Daytona was born out of the desire to make the Charger more competitive on the NASCAR high speed tracks. In 1969, Dodge took its sucessful Dodge Charger, added a few aerodynamic pieces, and introduced the Charger 500 both on the NASCAR tracks and in showrooms. Shortly afterwards, Ford introduced its Torino Talladega and the Mercury Cyclone Spoiler which were aerodynamically superior to the Dodges and won on the tracks. The Dodge engineers went back to the drawing boards, and came up with the Daytona, designed to bring NASCAR glory back to the Dodge boys.

1969 Dodge Daytona

dodge-daytona-1969a.jpg

Comments: The Dodge Daytona was created in 1969 with the sole purpose of winning aerodynamic supremacy for Dodge on the NASCAR tracks. Up front, the Daytona sported a pointed 18 inch nose extension made of fiberglass which reduced drag and enhanced downforce. Front fender-top scoops were added for tire clearance. Out back, the Daytona retained the 500's recessed backlight but added a massize two-foot high rear spoiler. In order to race the Daytona in NASCAR, Dodge had to sell 500 units to the public. Priced at $4,000, the Daytonas were available with either the 440 or the 426 Hemi and 503 examples were eventually sold. One Lemon Twist Yellow Daytona has been documented with a dealer installed 440 Six Pack V8, but that was not a factory option. Daytonas, however, weighed almost 300 pounds more than regular Chargers with the same engines, and thus their performance on the street was slightly worse. But on the NASCAR tracks, they were unstopable. Bobby Isaac drove a Daytona sponsored by K&K Insurnace to a world record closed-course speed record of 201.104 mph. At the Daytona race that year, Dodge Daytonas swept the top four spots. At Bonneville, Isaac set an unlimited class speed record of 217 mph. And all of this performance was available at your friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer. This was truly the height of the performance mania. Sadly, 1969 would be the only year that the Dodge Daytona would be available, although Plymouth would try the same thing for 1970 with their Superbird.

Production: 503
440: 433
Hemi: 70

Engines:
426 V8 Hemi 425 bhp @ 5000 rpm, 490 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm.
440 V8 375 bhp @ 4600 rpm, 480 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm.

Performance:
426/415: 0-60 in 6.6 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.92 seconds @ 104.1 mph.

I had a 68 Dart GTS 383 4-speed like that one. Mine was silver with red interior. I sold it about 2 1/2 years ago when we built a new house. Now I've got a killer dinette set [:(] I've always liked big block Darts. In fact I sold 5 cars in order to build this house. The only toy I kept is my 70 Cuda.

I've seen 2 ZL1 Cameros in person. That is the holy grail of the Camero world.

Jeremy