thanks for the good advice.

rockwell

i recently purchased a pair of used cornwalls and they sound great! i am glad i heeded your collective advice.the serial no.'s are cdr 15,2j117&2j118 verticals.can i determine their age from this and what would happen sonically if i mounted them on a wood framed,thermally insulated sheetrocked wall.

once again thank you very much,

rockwell

If the back is removable, then the grill MAY BE just velcro'd onto the front panel. I grip the Klisch logo and pull gently. If you pry an edge be careful not to ding the wood. On some older models the grille fabric is wrapped around the motor board and stapled before the cabinet is assembled. Those are NOT removeable without taking the motor board off.

Congrats on your Cornwall purchase. I LOVE em!

Why would you want to mount them TO a wall? I don't understand. There is a lot of bass that comes through the floor if you're in a framed structure. Please explain.

Michael

They did that as late as '71. I stand corrected. You can open the back and see if there is cloth wrapped around the motor board, if it is, you can remove the motor board (front panel) and remove the grille cloth by pulling out the bagillion staples. If grille looks okay, trust that there are speakers in there and that they sound great.

Michael

m ichael,

i appreciate your help-you were one of the guys who guided me in the proper direction.are you telling me that i need to take off the back panel and pull the driver mounting board through the back of the cabinet to remove the grille?this looks to be the proper solution-i just hoped it would be easier than that. these speakers will be in my garage and i want to wall mount them for physical protection and to keep the floor open for easy cleaning.i know this sounds goofy but i'd really like to try it.

thanks,

rockwell

Ok, guys, look at the MODEL of Cornwall he bought AGAIN, it is CDR= Cornwall, Decorator, Raw, which means it is NOT the mitered-corner cabinet with a drop-in motorboard, so...his motorboard is an INTEGRAL part of the cabinet build; the grill cloth is stapled around the FRONT edges of the cabinet, then molding is tacked over those stapled edges to hide the staples. Don't confuse the CDR of 1971 (also later called CDBR when birch plywood was used exclusively) with the mitered corner ones that had the fine veneers, since they have two COMPLETETLY different methods of assembly and construction. Thanks for your support[;)]

lol, a pair of cornwalls mounted up high in the garage [H]

If you go this approach, I would recommend mounting from the cieling instead of the wall. Since you've got verticals do you plan on mounting them on their side? Talk about a way cool garage system.