Onkyo seperates

pico_de_luuks

Not sure about how they do with Refs, but my Onkyo M-5000 (came from a

rack system, same era) has and continues to perform fine on my JBL's.

Again, it's a whole nother animal, but if you can buy and then resell

it for small money, it might be worth a shot.

Or, alternatively, if you're anywhere near Lynchburg, VA, we can get together and we'll plug it in and find out! [:D]

I've been using a M504 with the P308 off and on over 2 years now with Klipschorns. Sound on most music is extremely detailed. I feel no desire to add a sub. The amp provides all the power I desire and the large vue meters rarely go over 2 watts, but the headroom is outstanding. I also have a Scott 299C that I love the sound of but it never quite reaches the headroom I hear at > 2 watts with the Onkyo. If you are contemplating getting one, get it. They have a fairly good re-sale value so you shouldn't loose money.

Ough, was following an auction for a M-508 amp and a P-308 pre on e-bay: went for $1825 and $455 respectively [:'(]

Thought they could be had for about half of that price.

For that amount of money there must be plenty of very good alternatives out there. It didn't even mention if the amp was recapped...

Hmmm, time to revisit and rethink.

508's normally go between $5-600. The $1800 that the last one went for is a fluke and I would bet the seller never sees the money. I too have been looking for a 508 to replace my 504 but I can't justify spending the cash when I have been happy with the 504. Lately, an Adcom GFA555 and GTP555 have taken over for the Onkyo. Will eventually go back to the Onkyo gear but I like the sound of the Adcoms right now.