The trials and tribulations of trying to install a sub (part 1 - long)

maxg

Max, glad this is starting to come together for you. I still have difficulty believing that you have to use speaker outputs for this unit, but so be it. Insofar as the 31/63 bump, please try changing sub placement before proceeding with room treatments or (gasp from the audience) eq to 'solve' the problem.

What's on the right side of the photo? If you move statue boy, put R main there, then slam the sub in the 'corner' on the right it might be an entirely different acoustical space for it.

Michael

ps- just got back from helping our own Trey Cannon hang some pro surrounds at his place. The THX subs work very well in his basement hide-away along with two LS.

OK - I will add part 2 here rather than start a separate thread.

First off to answer a couple of questions:

Michael,

To the right of the system is the door into the living room. Throughout, the room is well furnished - as in heavily furnished and there are not a lot of options for sub placement.

As it happens, after a bit of dragging the bugger to the listening position and then crawling around with my daughter in tow listening to a bassy sample of music the current position is not radically worse than most others. There is one spot that would be better - but it is not usable.

Kelly,

The why is easy. With the sub correctly dialed in I get a lot more presence to the music. Everything appears more robust and bigger and obviously the bass is much punchier. Sonic Integration of the sub is now heading towards seemless as I tweak away and largely you cannot tell the thing is playing - until you switch it off - always a good sign.

All,

Tweaking has been going on continuously over the past few days. SWMBO is not a lover of bass - and for a while she hated what she was hearing - which meant that I had the volume set too high. It is now at a more reasonable level for the system and just sounds plain good with everything I listen too. I think there is yet more scope for improvement - but this is not a race - I have time to get it right.

After the good Dr Who's intervention I have now abandoned the measuring system I had in favour of just letting my ears decide. I did the reversing of polarity on the speakers and managed to eliminate most of the bass from the system prior to switching back and then knocking the volume down a tad.

The good news is that my TT is so well isolated (more the basic design of the unit than the stand or anything I have done) that is seems immune to the increased bass levels.

On Monday - with SWMBO washing dishes in the kitchen we got to about 1 o'clock on the volume and the sound was simply wondrous to behold. This is about as loud as I ever get. Even CD sounds almost acceptable now - but it is the vinyl that holds court - of course.

Testing has been somewhat interupted with the arrival of my latest toy - a new digital camera - but from what I have got through to date it is clear the sub is staying for the foreseeable.

Amazingly there is no discernable muddying of the bass - even with the speaker level connection and both speakers and sub playing all frequencies below 80 Hz. Like I said - this is one quick sub.

Congrats, Max. I think what you've described above as an answer to

Kelly is exactly what a good sub can/will do - which of course you've

known from the REL [:)].

BTW: in my setup the 'best' way to connect the sub was by using an

external active crossover (i.e. signal goes from preamp to crossover

and then to the main amp/sub). I am not sure if that's an option for

you down the road, but to my ears the external crossover is superior to

the one built into the sub.

Anyway, enjoy your new audio toy - it sounds like a lot of fun.

Wolfram