A horn question

Deang

In fact, conservative design says the horn should be crossed over about one-half octave above its cutoff. If memory serves, the K400 actual cutoff is 250 Hz,(as installed in the baffle) so the 400 Hz crossover point is appropriate (at least for the mid horn, not considering the bass horn)

Dean,

It depends on what you mean by 400hz horn. You need to know the cut off frequency, people sometimes use the phrase 400hz horn to mean one with a cut off of 400hz, others mean a horn that loads down to 400hz. the rule of thumb re: cut off is that you should not use them below twice the cut off frequency so a horn with a cut off of 400hz should not be run much below 800hz. However if the 400hz horn in question loads down to 400hz then you are fine down to that point, slow slope crossovers and loud volumes may mean you need to leave more space though.

Tony

If you cross a 400Hz horn at 500Hz -- does it still load properly?

I've been trying to figure out exactly what you mean by this question...so why do you wanna know?

Btw, a 500Hz and 400Hz horn do not share the same expansion rate which means if you change the horn while leaving the crossover at the same point, then you end up with a different off-axis response. (But in theory you will still have the same on-axis response). Is that more along the lines of what you were getting at?

Remember Duke I was talking about "cut off frequency" that is why I wanted dean to specify what term he wanted used..some spec horns using the term cut off frequency and others simply spec what is trhe lower frequency limit the horn loads to...twice the cut off frequency is what is used. I will look for some references for you and post them. tony

when did you speak with him ...??

lol, it's in the Dope from Hope - I believe he used the term "not noticeable" instead of "inaudible" - I'll have to go find it.

Nevertheless, I've read of other horn gurus making the same claims too. (and then I've read "horn bashers" that say the opposite). The only point I was trying to make was it is a system of compromise.

maybe I should state this another way. one should crossover at twice the cut off frequency. that is to say set the lower crossover at 600hz for a 300hz horn. Like 1/2 the desired crossover frequency for the flair frequency (cut off) of the horn to keep stored energy low is good. Or .7 x the flare frequency (cut off) as a max. I am pretty sure I got this idea form LeCleach among others, I will continue to look for references. Tony

one should crossover at twice the cut off frequency. that is to say set the lower crossover at 600hz for a 300hz horn.

I don't know about that, Tony .....

like I said, it's just not done ....

your saying the Fc, for say the k-400 horn, should be 200 hz ...

can't be

now to make matters worse ...

let's go back to Altec ..

post-16603-13819278488118_thumb.jpg

no, I am saying the k-400 should be crossed over at 800hz, assuming the flare of the k-400 was 400hz not the lower loading limit...but now I fear I may be all messed up...anyway...I originally wanted to point out that the terminology about crossover poinbts for drivers/horns was not totally standardized...tony