Amp guys

CECAA850

I have a question for those of you that dabble in old amps. I have a JVC integrated amp at home that I bought new in the mid 70's. It's built like a tank weight wise and rated at 60wpc. I currently have it set up in my sons room. He's using it to test the structural integrity of the sheetrock walls with a pair of Cerwin Vegas. Did I mention the fact that he was 16? My question is "what's the best way to clean the contacts on the volume knob"? The amp plays fine unless you're adjusting the volume, then SCRAAAAATCH untill you stop turning the knob. Thanks in advance, Carl

Hi, I've had some luck, by removing the chassis cover, and spraying contact cleaner into any access nook and cranny of the pot, especially into the shaft stem sleeve, using one of those thin "straw" type adaptor nozzle thingies.(in laymans terms). I try to mask off the area with newspaper or paper towels, and somehow angle the piece so that the excess can drain out easily and not onto other components, which if observed by others not in the know, may appear like an old game of "Twister".

Back in the '50's, when I had a bench at a radio shop after school, we squirted a few drops of carbon tetrachloride into noisy pots and switches while turning them back and forth vigorously (which probably explains a lot of my subsequent aberrant behavior). I have never seen anything that worked better or quicker.

I now use a RadioStore product (64-4315) called Non-Flammable Contact/Control Cleaner & Lubricant in a spray can. It works, which is faint praise. I can walk over there in five minutes or drive in fifteen. Nothing to order.

Some of the brothers on the Forum use products that are several times as costy. How much better, if any, I can't say.

DRBILL

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I took the amp apart last night and used the RadioShack spray electric contact cleaner/lube stuff. It's kinda messy with the built in lube. I guess I was expecting instant evaporation like an electric contact cleaner. Looks like the lube would hold dust after time, we'll see. Put it back together and the volume control is now as quiet as can be. Thanks for the help.