Just got RF-7s

GeorgeC

Just picked up my RF-7s from RLA Home Theater. Had to wait for them to get made! Ray (htxpert) has been the greatest, and had provided me with the perfect setting and assistance so that I could compare the RF-7s to Legend KLF-30s (the model I have) to make sure that going to RF-7s would be right for me. After testing about 16 musical selections I was really familiar with on both speaker systems, I was convinced that going to the RF-7s was the way to go.

Got them Thursday. The cherry is not as deep as I'd like in a cherry, but it is beautiful. Even just out of the box, there's a wonderful sense of detail and dynamics. They really seem like the near perfect offspring of a marriage between the Legend and Reference series. Love them, and can't wait for the 100 hour break in to be over. If they're going to sound even better than this, that'll be awesome.

Now for the bad. I also ordered an RC-7 center with the RF-7s. Got damaged in shipping. First decided to wait for another one and pick them all up together, but took so long I finally broke down and went to pick up the RF-7s. When I saw the boxing on the new Reference speakers I was pretty stunned. The boxing is aweful! I'm surprised most of them don't get damaged - there's almost nothing to protect the speakers. I think customers would pay $10 more on $2200 speakers to get more protective boxes.

Got even worse when I picked up the second RC-7 this afternoon. This one is damaged too!! There's no point in making spectacular top quality speakers then packing them in good looking but bottom quality boxing. I have to wait another week or more now, and hope the next box makes it! Klipsch, please re-evaluate this. It's painful enough to wait for cool speakers like this once - twice is agony!

One more whine (constructive criticism): Don't have the RS-7s yet, but had the KSP-6s in white. These had a metal grill - very easy to clean. The white RS-7s have a fabric white grill. Wonder why Klipsch didn't stick to the metal - I dread asking for cleaning tips on the white fabric.

Other than that, what a kick! What a thrill I got setting up my two out of four good (undamaged) speakers. They look so good without the grills, I've kept the grills off. Smooth with impact.

Hate the box. Love these speakers.

A question for you GeorgeC. You mentioned that you felt the RF-7s had more detail. Did you also try movies thru them as well. I found the RF-7 to be lacking in detail compared to the KLF-30. Both pairs were played thru a Denon AVR5800, which also what I have in my home system. How do you define detail? Of course everyone has their own taste, but was just curious is all...Thanks and enjoy your new speakers.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

ColaBear when you say the KLF30 has more detail then the RF-7's,where does it have more detail?In the midrange or in the highs? Both?

I have yet to get my RF-7's! Frown.gif I know the KLF30 sound quite good,I just hope the RF-7's will not give me a bad surprise.

I dont like to listen at the store,most tests are done at home.

I can still get some KLF30's if the RF-7's dont do the job right.I want mains for my HT,impact and good detail are paramount.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I listened to the RF-7s in Ray's showroom and tested out a movie, but I didn't compare between the two speakers on movies. I probably should have, I'd have more info for you guys. I thought that if RF-7s sounded even nearly as good as 30s on movies, I'd be fine (I think movies are phenomenal on the 30s). And what he played for me, from Toy Story 2, sounded great. I ran the comparisons between the two on music only.

With more detail in the RF-7s, I meant that I heard things in the music with the RF-7s that I hadn't heard with the KLF-30s (and I love the KLF-30s). Small details that surprised me because I had heard these songs so many times before, and not heard these. I think the RF-7 have just a little less slam and emotion than the 30s, but it's very slight (not like 30s vs the RF-3s, where it's night and day), and all in all, I preferred the RF-7s on every track I heard, sometime just slightly, sometimes more dramatically so. One warning. Since these speakers are so revealing, bad recordings sound even worse than on the 30s. I can't wait till they're broken in, I remembered how much my 30s improved after they broke in.

Cola Bear,

Thanks for the good wishes, I will enjoy them. Interesting you felt the opposite, with KLF-30s having more detail. They're both great, and I didn't mean to suggest that there's a huge difference between the two, just, in my case, enough to be be significant. But every ear is different. And I could see someone liking the sound of 30s better, both models have much to their credit.

Theears,

From what I remember, a lot of the little details I heard on the RF-7s were in the midrange, but I should have taken better mental notes on these, to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Let us know what you think when you get to RF-7s, and if you decide to keep them or stick to the 30s (and I hope you don't get a damaged box (and its content) after all that waiting!

Thanks GeorgeC,

From what I read some bash(not just BASH TM, Smile.gif )the RF series.I doubted many posts that stated the RF-7's were not "as" good as the large KLF series.

I know the KLF sound,yes the horn loaded midrange can be addictive.This is why I have speakers from two worlds(horn loaded Klipsch and the high tech Dynaudio)for live music I prefer the Klipsch.The horns bring out the live effect better.I like to push the volume sometimes way up. Smile.gif

Thanks again for the info,I cant wait to get my hands on the RF-7's.(as soon as the dealer gets'em)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

THEEar,

In both the highs and the midrange there is just enought there, for me anyway> to pick the threeway design of the KLFs over the twoway design of the RFs. With detail I am referring to cymbal crashes being a bit more crisp, the shell casing hitting the marble floor in the "Matrix" lobby scene. Things like that are my idea of detail that I listen for. The "Jazz at the Pawnshop" CDs also posses a great deal of detail, other than music. It wasn't as prevalent on the RFs as it is on the KLFs. Bottom line still remains is that it is what sounds good to YOU. Good chatting with you Cool.gif

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Hello, I have just finished setting up my system with my new Klipschs. Picked up brand new in the boxes from my local authorized dealer in flawless condition in cherry without a single scratch .Magnificent !

Zone 1

2 x RF-7s

1 x RC-7

2 x RS-7s

2 x SB- 500 (Technic)rear surrounds

1 x 15 JBL sub

1 x Polk PSW 650 sub

1 x Onkyo TX-DS 989 upgraded receiver

1 x Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player

Zone 2 speakers Polk and JBL

Mitsubishi WS-55807,Technic CD,Tape deck, Sony VHS, blah,blah blah.

Want my opinion ? To quote John Hurt talking to Jodie Foster from space in Contact.

Wanna take a ride ? ha ha ha, BBB, Adios Vroooooooooooom !

cwm41.gif

I was a KLF30 owner for 3 years until the cabinets came loose and I had to ship them in for repair. Lots of slam and emotion......great rockers!

Anyway, they were damaged in shipping and Mike B. from Klipsch got me a new pair of RF 7's to replace them. He didn't even get impatient with my nagging him almost daily until they were delivered.http://216.37.9.58/ubb/cwmsmilies/cwm1.gifNow that's what I call excellent customer service!!! Anyway, I was quite apprehensive that the RF 7's would be dissapointing. I was concerned about going from 12" to 10" woofers and from 3 way to 2 way. [bR>My concerns were resolved when I got the 7's. I too believe there is more detail with nearly as much slam as the KLF 30's.

Both awesome speakers and a great company. ]