Power Conditioner?

Chicago_Pete

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience power conditioners rob amplifiers of dynamics.

You should plug the amps directly into the wall.

However, I use a PS Audio P300 "power plant" to power my preamp, CD Player and turntable and this has proven to be a valuable addition to my system. It sends PERFECT 60hz 117.5 volt power to the turntable which is great since mine has an AC synchronous motor--rock solid speed stability.

I originally bought the P300 because the power in my OLD neighborhood was often dropping to 105-108 volts and this was causing a HORRIBLE hum in my BAT CD player. Eventually EDISON replaced a bunch of equpment and I upgraded to a new 200 amp service, but the P300 remains. The clean power really blackens the background noticably--really obvious when you take it out of the system.

I use a PS Audio P300 "power plant" to power my preamp, CD Player and turntable and this has proven to be a valuable addition to my system... The clean power really blackens the background noticably--really obvious when you take it out of the system.

Yep, ditto that -- made a really big difference on my TT and CD transport. Cassette & RTR tape decks also benefitted.

I use the Belkin F5C980-TEL, available at Staples for about $80 .. maybe less.

It won't rob your amp of dynamic range because the inductors are too small to affect the 60Hz power .. they only remove RF. What it will remove, if your system has the problem, is RF which can modulate the audio producing what one might interpret as improved dynamics or "slam" but is actually just distortion timed with the sound itself so one might think it is part of the sound.

Many people are so used to hearing rf modulated audio, they think something is wrong when the rf modulation is removed.

Leo

Actually I use a power distribuition box that was made by PS Audio when the very first P300 models came out--it has an aluminum faceplate that matches the P300 and has four outlets on the back and one switch on the front. Paul at PS Audio only made a very few of these and never really had them for sale, but it's a nice item. I plug my amps, tuner and CD recorder into this and it plugs into one of PS Audio's "Ultimate Outlets" which in turn is plugged into a 30A dedicated circuit.

Sounds like a nice setup Alan. I need to find a way to switch these 30's. When I was using the AR SP8 a nice feature was the outlets "ON" switch. I was thinking about one of the offerings from Monster for a conditioner but don't know a thing about them. They seem to be feature packed which always makes me a little leery. I like to keep it simple.

I can also vouch for PS Audio products. My amps and preamp are plugged into a P1000 Power Plant, while the remainder of my gear runs through their Ultimate Outlets or UPC-200's. None of which are current-limiting, or dynamics-robbing.

In fact, the only case power conditioners do the evil aformentioned deeds, are when you connect them to high-powered devices, such as amps. Source components or preamps should work just fine.

Sounds like a nice setup Alan. I need to find a way to switch these 30's. When I was using the AR SP8 a nice feature was the outlets "ON" switch. I was thinking about one of the offerings from Monster for a conditioner but don't know a thing about them. They seem to be feature packed which always makes me a little leery. I like to keep it simple.

If you have the money, I would suggest one of these:

P500 Power Plant

It's a PS Audio P500 power plant and it will power your ENTIRE system.

http://www.psaudio.com/cart/ProductDisplay.asp?productID=58

In my experience power conditioners rob amplifiers of dynamics.

You should plug the amps directly into the wall.

However,

I use a PS Audio P300 "power plant" to power my preamp, CD Player and

turntable and this has proven to be a valuable addition to my

system. It sends PERFECT 60hz 117.5 volt power to the turntable

which is great since mine has an AC synchronous motor--rock solid speed

stability.

I originally bought the P300 because the

power in my OLD neighborhood was often dropping to 105-108 volts and

this was causing a HORRIBLE hum in my BAT CD player. Eventually

EDISON replaced a bunch of equpment and I upgraded to a new 200 amp

service, but the P300 remains. The clean power really

blackens the background noticably--really obvious when you take it out

of the system.

How did you determine it was "perfect"?

You should plug it into the wall....however?

Pure snake oil, and you fell for it

Sorry guy, but I'm glad it makes you feel like it sounds better

I've got a friend who works at Tweeter - former Klipsch dealer, and now former Monster Cable/Power dealer - who said he could make me a "deal" on the Monster Power AVS 2000. I've got another friend - an independent dealer for all Klipsch, including Heritage - who also said he could make me a "deal". Funny how these guys said this within two weeks of each other, without me even asking about the unit! I suppose the AVS 2000 is being replaced (especially at Tweeter, who is going with Panamax).

However, this looks like a good product, if the price is right. Any experience or opinions on this unit?

I use the Belkin F5C980-TEL, available at Staples for about $80 .. maybe less.

It

won't rob your amp of dynamic range because the inductors are too small

to affect the 60Hz power .. they only remove RF. What it will remove,

if your system has the problem, is RF which can modulate the audio

producing what one might interpret as improved dynamics or "slam" but

is actually just distortion timed with the sound itself so one might

think it is part of the sound.

Many people are so used to hearing rf modulated audio, they think something is wrong when the rf modulation is removed.

Leo

I concur completely with this common sense, reality based approach. Another good one is the Monster HTS 2000.

Anything more with over the counter products is hocus pocus

Above and beyond the above mentioned, only dedicated lines, isolation transformers and such, will yield anything meaningful

Save your money and invest in something you can REALLY hear

Music and equipment

You have no idea what you are babbling about. The PS Audio product is a power REGENERATOR--not a line conditioner. It is produces a PERFECT sine wave at 117.5 volts. It takes the AC from your wall socket, converts it to DC and then produces a new AC signal.

http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp

You

have no idea what you are babbling about. The PS Audio product is

a power REGENERATOR--not a line conditioner. It is produces a

PERFECT sine wave at 117.5 volts. It takes the AC from your wall

socket, converts it to DC and then produces a new AC signal.

http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp

I know EXACTLY what I am "babbling" about

The PS Audio products are simply single frequency amplifiers

Subject to the same Laws as your audio amplifier

Does it come with a little disposable bag so you can empty out all those bad, tainted electrons?

I know EXACTLY what I am "babbling" about

Does it come with a little disposable bag so you can empty out all those bad, tainted electrons?

If the power coming into my home was varying between 105 and 118 V depending on the time of day and it was making my CD player hum like a banshee every time it dropped below 108V and plugging in the P300 CURED this problem by providing a CONSISTANT voltage level, how is this "snake oil?" This has NOTHING to do with "tainted electrons," silly boy.

This was the MAIN reason I bought the P300. But now that I don't need it for that purpose any longer I still use it because of a very small but noticeably improvement in SOUND. I'd sell it tomorrow for a few hundred bucks if I didn't think it worked. And the turntable really does love the "perfect" power from the P300--rock-stable stability.

Not true. Allan knows exactly what he's talking about.

Enlighten me, exactly what and why anything I've said is "not true"

Exactly what is he talking about?

Sounds like a rep for PS Audio to me

Like I said, the STABILITY provided by the PS products can be had for about $75.00-$125.00 or so if you are so inclined/able

Unless you're just into audio jewelry and have lots of disposable income

I don't have lots of disposable income

So I rely on knowledge and facts