Quality of my Ipod?

33klfan

I got a video ipod for christmas, and my other hobby is photography so it's cool to put pictures on it and video with a 'purchase' of software for the video like converting dvd's to the ipod. The quality seems to be quite fine in that field but the music, i have a question about. My file transfers are as the same as if i would put the songs on a cd but they are going on the ipod instead to hear what it sounds like. Well if i put the rock eq on, on the ipod, it makes rock music crackle with somewhat heavy guitaring or sometimes in places where it shouldn't like when a guitar signal is bleeding out at the end of the song. I have to set it to off, but what's the purpose of having eq settings, when you can't use them because it makes it sound like crap. I set eq settings to each song on itunes which is suppose to keep it that way on the ipod and then set the ipod's eq to off. I don't know. It doesn't sound like it's carrying that assigned eq from itunes. I'm even using panasonic headphones like the studio looking ones. The ones given are a joke. I guess my ears are trained too well for this ipod. My mom wants it more than i do. She'll buy it off of me so if i can't get this music issue solved, which i spent way too much time on it already, i'll sell it.

My friend has an Ipod Mini that he uses to "show" me new music from time to time instead of lugging over cd's. He rips the tracks stright from CD or LP than downloads it to the Ipod. With the eq on the neutral setting, the quality of the music is just slightly less than that of a CD; obviously no where near LP. The point is that the Ipod has a very good op amp in it and the music will be good if you download it from a good source or save it as a "good" file such as a .wav instead of an mp3. I think that if you have quality original recordings to download to the Ipod that you can run it with neutral eq settings and get decent sound from it.

No, just on the itunes eq and then the ipod's eq is off or vice versa. Maybe it's the recording. I just listened to amber pacific on my main system and i swear i heard in some spots some crackling. It's a factory cd but i never heard of hopeless records. It would seem odd that a factory cd has a bad recording or they didn't do something right. I don't know. My new flyleaf does the crackling on the ipod though and i listened to the same spot on my system to see and it plays fine. Weird.

ah the iPod..... I worked for an apple store. The headphones might be

the problem as I personally saw many of them crackle with age. They

will replace it for you if you goto a store. I'm not sure, if it is

sounding on the other headphone than maybe.

Also the iPod equalizer was meant to satisfy the everyone with sq to

just spl. The equalizer was meant for spl and goes to garbage when

equalized. Also another thing I remember for the ipod there is a 60/30

minute rule. Never exceed 60 percent volume on the iPod and thirty

minutes of it too to prevent hearing damage. Remember since the earbuds

sit closer to your ears and the fact that they are not sealed and

noises tend to bleed in makes you put the music hgher than you might

think

Jay is probably right. I got a new iPod for xmas too (black 60GB video), and I tried switching between the earbuds that came with my old 2nd generation iPod, and the new ones that came with the 60GB video. The crackling was apparent in the old earbuds, but not the new ones. Which, supposedly, Apple claims are made of better materials and the most superior earbud offering of theirs to date.

I use the rock EQ too. Just make sure you're ripping your CD's at 192kbps at the very least, if not 320kbps. Remember, iPod's are for convenience and taking your music with you on the go. Don't expect the same soul-satisfying experience from the poor little thing as you'd get from Your Main System.

What's spl? I realize that it isn't suppose to sound like my system, but it shouldn't crackle either. I just have to use flat, but now my mom has it so it's not my worry. We'll still share it. I'm just not an ipod person i guess. I never really had to have one. That's probably part of it. I'm home when i'm not in school so i would much rather spend time listening to my main system than the ipod. IMO.

sq = sound quality, spl is already explains sorry for not explaining.

grados are nice expecially since they need no headphone amp to get the best of them.

since klipsch does not make headphones I can say goto www.headphone.com

where they have a nice list of headphones and an honest no bull shit

assessment. If your a in the ear type I like the etymotic er-6i for

around 130 dollars they are flat, neutral but the bass is there. The

Shure e2c are boomy, e3c more flat but 199 now. the etymotic still

better. The e4c are great but they are 299!!! e5c eh bass that is all

plus 499!

grados are nice but there real headphones meaning there cumbersome and

bigger than the normal sony around the head type headphones.

Those speakers are a twin cabinet design; the high and mid are in a separate cabinet from the woofer. The top cabinet also swivels so you can toe in the speakers without moving the heavy bass cabinet. Both the bass and mid/high cabinets are a trapezoidal design to reduce standing waves. I used 15" JBL woofers, 4.5" Vifa mids and 1" Scan Speak soft dome tweeters. The crossovers use GE oil caps. I've stopped testing/tweaking them now that I have my LaScala project though.

I had the same issue with the ipod before too, i think that it just sounds bad.. i have tried changing to so many high end earphones and headphones.., amps and external equaliser.. but it's still crap.. Try the Iriver's and the creative's or sony before buying the ipod.. my best advice.. I have a sony MD which is about 7 or 8 yrs old and it sounds a lot better.. much more clarity, better bass, better trebles .. perfect..

Never had a problem with it.. the battery is still going as new.. i charge it for only 30mins or so and i cam play for days.. the ipod on the other hand have a very doggy battery.. need to charge for at least 4 hrs for a full charge.. and it plays for only about 5-6 hrs .. it crashes a lot, i had mine replaced twice already.. and all my friends have the same problems..

Dude .. Just a shame for the ipod.. but instead everybody have one.. like smoking cigarettes.. i have one tooo... and i use it everyday..