What do you guys think?

oogins

If, for some sick reason, I scour up the money and get a Yamaha RX-V3000 for my Quintets, would that be too much? I already have a center and 5 sats. If I buy this receiver, I would buy 2 more Quintet sats for the front effects.

I can't really justify buying a receiver that costs almost 3 times the amount of my speakers. I see most people are using the V3000 with Legends and References, but not Quintets. I'm positive it will sound great, but would it be a waste using the V3000 with Quintets? Chances are I will not buy this receiver, but I am curious as to what you guys think of this pairing.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony F520 21")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Marantz SR7200)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Carver Knight Shadow or Paradigm PW-2200)

cwm31.gif

That's a lot of receiver for those speakers, IMO. There should be some standard to determine value of receiver vs value of speaker, but I'm not aware of one. For example, if your speakers cost $X, then you shouldn't spend any more than $X(+/- 20%) for your receiver.

Do have the opportunity to A/B test the quintets with lesser priced Yammies? I'd check that out first.

Happy Listening!

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 10-15-2001 at 03:25 AM

This yamaha would be wasted with the Quintets.Heck even a Denon 3801 would be too much for the Quintets.

Sure I used even a massice all Celeste (amps)and Denon 5800 with the Quintets(just a test)to see how good the Quintets would sound.Sure you get a better sound but its a big waste,as you will not extract all the information and glory out of the big Yamaha.

I would pair the Quintets with a Denon 2802(at the most)or any $500 reciever.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The RX-V3000 is a super nice receiver, and yes it is overkill with the Quintets, but you could always upgrade your speakers later if you're really gone on that particular receiver. I think it kind of depends on what the weakest link in your system is; receiver or speakers. But like DD2 says, you will reap more sonic benefit for the dollar with a speaker upgrade.

------------------

JDMcCall