"I need to liquify my solid state" sez Dean

Jeff Matthews

Jeff,

"Duke, if I'm running 39 watts, is that inclusive of peaks? It is

hard to imagine that 1/2 way is 39 watts on a 310 watt/channel

amp. That means there's 271 watts left in the second 1/2.

Are you all sure of these calcs? "

Again... volume control means *nothing* with regard to output power.

All that does in attenuate the input signal.

How much power the amp is going to put out will totally depend upon how

much signal it is fed. If you turn down the input level on the Crown it

just means it will need to be fed more signal for the same output

level.... and vice versa turning up the input levels.

I could make your amp put out 300w with the input level at 1/10 of the way up... ditto with it all the way up.

Shawn

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps i should re-phrase ....

yes, our crude test is wild-a.ss speculation, is not accurate between the hours of 2 pm > 11 am, and only at a temperature of 38* celsius, and only at a latitude of 58*, barometric pressure 30" hg, and corrected for Standard Air, and 50% R.H., and..............

BUT we know he's not listening to 3 watts

I see what you're saying, Craig, even though no answer has been offered as to what about the Crown makes it punchy and precise.

In the "headroom" thread, we seemed to get somewhat of a consensus (including Duke) that it took serious power to get the full dynamic punch.

Now, we're back down to 39 watts, so obviously 39 watts delivers a butt-load of fast, precise punch, although it seems Duke and others said otherwise previously. Maybe they didn't, and I didn't understand completely.

If that's the feature I want, and headroom is not the issue, I need to know what specs about an amp (specifically my Crown) make it perform with the punch it has. I thought it was power and huge headroom.

EDIT: FYI, the input knob on the pre-amp is wide open to the Crown.

well, to speculate some more , Jeff

You Listen at some pretty LOUD levels ....

if you are averaging 30+ watts

it's a wonder the MT don't clip on peaks

Now, we might be getting somewhere, Duke. I ask the questions; you give the answer, and we might go full-round to my initial thoughts.

How about this question: Why on Earth would the Crown clip at only 30 watts?

Jeff,

"EDIT: FYI, the input knob on the pre-amp is wide open to the Crown. "

Still means nothing with regard to output power.

Duke,

"You Listen at some pretty LOUD levels ....

if you are averaging 30+ watts"

If the meter is at all accurate that is for sure unless he sits very far away from them or listens from another room.

With 40w average a single K'Horn is going to be putting out on average

around 120dB a 1 meter, the pair will be louder. That is *well* into

the hearing damaging levels.

"your peaks gotta be over 1kw, if it wasn't compressed"

Maybe not depending upon the material. 10dB of additional dynamics would require about 400w of power.

Again... this is all based on the volt meter readings which could be very very wrong.

Shawn

Jeff,

Your comparing a true 30wpc rms @ 8 ohms @ 20hz-20khz with a THD around 1% and a damping factor of problably around 30 with a pro-amp at 310 watts rms @ 8 ohms @ 20hz-20khz with a damping factor of more like >500 and you wonder why one has more slam and quicker on the transients than the other. Come on just think about that a minute. They were designed for different listening habits. I bet you at low to moderate listening levels your marantz crushes your crown in smoothness, less hard sounding.

Crown was meant to blast a nightclub and your particular marantz was designed for moderate listening in a home environment. It wasn't designed to be moving mass amounts of air from 15 inch woofers and kicking you in the chest. Not a fair comparison at all.

Craig, music is Steely Dan's "Home at Last" on the album "Aja."

Meter is: GB Instruments GMT-12A (an inexpensive one I bought at Lowe's).

Do you happen to have a reasonably good quality MP3 of this song? I only have that album on LP. I'd like to try something here with some reasonable quality test equipment. email it to craigostby@comcast.net if you can.

Craig

Yeah, I knew I'd get the cheapy meter picture. [:P] I won't discount your observation at all, but it was funny to predict that picture would be posted.

Now, Duke's comment takes me full circle (because I agree the cheapy meter isn't going to make the difference between 5 watts and 40 watts. So, let's go beyond that.

The comment by Duke was that peaks would be way up there. That's the headroom issue, is it not?

That was Question 1.

Here's Question 2:

Is that why I would not get the same precision, punch, speed, whatever out of a 60-watt Marantz? (The real focus here is on punch.)

Yeah... probably wouldn't trust that meter for much in the AC ranges.

Also.... Jeff.... do you know how to properly read an analog meter? If

you are looking at the wrong scale on the meter your numbers would be

very wrong and would explain what appears to be insane SPL numbers.

Best bet... just buy an SPL meter at Radio Shack and we can figure

everything out from there too and be more accurate with it.

Shawn

Jeff,

I bet you at low to moderate listening levels your marantz crushes your crown in smoothness, less hard sounding.

Noooo. Checked that out last night. For example, on "Hey Nineteen," the drummer is playing the high-hat on a 2-count with his left hand and a 4-count with his right, hitting the snare on the 3rd count.

Through, the Marantz, you can't hear the 4 count going. Just the 2-count.

", I read the correct scale. "

If that meter is accurate and you actually listen at those levels kiss your hearing goodbye then........

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

"As to the SPL meter, I am hearing $60 is what they run."

Anywhere from about $30 and up. Though most meters can't even read

accurately at 120dB as the microphones compress above 105 to 110dB and

also distort badly up there.

Shawn

Here's Question 2:

Is that why I would not get the same precision, punch, speed, whatever out of a 60-watt Marantz? (The real focus here is on punch.)

Jeff,

Your marantz is 30wpc not 60 not 90. 30wpc ss compared to 310 wpc ss with different design goals and listening habits in mind. With the way you like to move the woofers you are leaving the marantz in the dust. I will say again its not a fair comparison and quit picking on that poor little marantz. GEESH