Do I want to ship (ebay) amp to Japan?

Coytee

I've got a SE-OTL amp on ebay and had an inquiry if I'd ship to Japan, in spite of my listing which says US only.

I've never done something like that and don't know if it would be a real hassle or not.

I've thought about telling him simply "no", or, that I'd ship to Japan if he hits the BIN price ($900 vs my reserve of $750)

Soooooooooo, anyone have any experience doing something like this? Is it worth the effort? Is it going to be fraught with annoyances?

If it's as simple as me heading to the post office & handing them the box, then frankly, I don't mind doing it. I just hate to say "ok" and find I have a Pandoras box full of export paperwork, customs forms, Japanese import forms blah blah blah...My goal is to keep MY half of the transaction simple & easy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Well, I ship a hundred or so packages a year overseas. Pack very well and ship by USPS Airmail Parcel Post insured. The customs form only takes a minute or so to fill out and the post office will help you with it. Don't believe the post office when they tell you that the package will take 4 to 10 days to be delivered. I have had airmail packages take over 30 days to Canada and only 5 days to Australia. I have only had one package damaged going overseas. That was over a year ago, but I still haven't been paid on that claim.

There was one other case of damage when the French Customs people cut open the dust cover on a K-33E woofer to see what was inside it, but that is another story.

Bob

French customs, wow. that's a story.

Coytee, I think the main issue with shipping oversees is that the buyer is willing to literally pay the freight.

In addition to the actual cost of shipping, you need to make sure you include your expenses for packing materials, which must be substantial to make sure the goods survive the trip.