New Reference Series - PICTURES ARE HERE:

kenratboy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Klipsch Employees

Trey,

They sound different in what way? Better/Different _____(fill in the blank) More/Less ______?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

That is not an easy thing to answer. I hate using the standard terms like " open or more warm".

I can say that the 83 does have more low end than the RF-7.

I will let others that have more time in front of these speakers tell what they think.

All in all I like the way the new lineup sounds.

The Engineer that worked on the new product is on the forum now.

We will get him set up to answer questions sometime this week.

He can tell you what he was looking for and what he thinks about the way things turned out.

We are in the "BETA" stage now. 1st production should start at the end of this month (if all goes right)

That should put product in a store near you in the next 30 -60 days. The subs will be a bit after that.

I hope to have a few friends in to tell us what they think in the next week or so.

I own RB-75 mains and the RC-7 center driven with Aragon Stage One/2007 with the THX Ultra 2 sub system

What do I think of the RF-63 and RC-64???

I don't want to take them back,

IMO the RC-64 is very natural sounding, not saying the RC-7 isn't, but the 64 is there. Even Becky noticed and suggested the same, we spent the day Sunday just jammin, A/B ing back and forth between the two centers. Running in PL II music mode and DD watching concert DVD's.

The RF-63's have some great bottom end, forgot my subs were off the other day while cranking on some tunes. I love them.

I have had RF-7's at home in the past and I can say this much, I love the RF-63's.

Again, I do not want to return them.......

Saying what I have so far, don't forget I have K-Horns tube driven up stairs

post-2674-1381927897808_thumb.jpg

Stephen:

Wow, that is one bads$$ system you have there!!! What sort of

projector you running? I see some racing pedels and a wheel in

the foreground [:P]

I am impressed to see even just the RF-63's there, not the 83's - lot of bass even from 6-inchers?

I think that center looks just amazing. I am looking at my C-3,

and imagining how big it would be with another woofer tacked onto the

side. I LIKE!

Good stuff.

Infocus 4805, painted wall ( ultra flat white) 106"

Becky bought me a PS2 Slim for Christmas. bought 2 Logitech Force feed back wheels and attached the pedels ( with wing nuts) to the recliner leg support, the wheels are mounted to a table like deal that sits across our laps............so we kick back and RACE.

GT-3 is a great sim.

Room is good size, but I felt the 63's more suited, I sit only 10 feet back from them, about 13+ from the screen.

"lot of bass even for 6-inchers?" O ya!

I own RB-75 mains and the RC-7 center driven with Aragon Stage One/2007 with the THX Ultra 2 sub system

What do I think of the RF-63 and RC-64???

I don't want to take them back,

IMO the RC-64 is very natural sounding, not saying the RC-7 isn't, but the 64 is there. Even Becky noticed and suggested the same, we spent the day Sunday just jammin, A/B ing back and forth between the two centers. Running in PL II music mode and DD watching concert DVD's.

The RF-63's have some great bottom end, forgot my subs were off the other day while cranking on some tunes. I love them.

I have had RF-7's at home in the past and I can say this much, I love the RF-63's.

Again, I do not want to return them.......

Saying what I have so far, don't forget I have K-Horns tube driven up stairs

On the RF63 - how is the overall sound - midrange - high end? (sounds like the bass is great!) How does the sound compare to RF5's? How is the finish? I was disappointed to see only two models with real wood veneer!

Isn't the RC 64 similar to an RC35 but with more low end?

Mark

Accurate and detailed. IMHO.I like them a lot, could sit and listen to music 2 channel no sub all day long

Have not A/B ed the RF-63 with a RF-5, not always something easy to do around here. Things of that nature I would have to do after hours ( almost all of the time) and that is not as easy as one would expect.

RC-64 to the RF-35, same answer as above, but I would say they should be fine together. Reference old and new match very well with each other for most, if not all applications.

I have an RC-10 I have used with my RB-5s and felt the match was fine, used to use them in my bedroom HT.

I dont always get the chance to compare a floor with a center, unless it is in the same group. Usually after hours I listen to all of one product area, comparing new with older and that was a month or so ago. Usually during development and not necessarily the final version. My position here does not always allow time for evaluation of product at work. With as much that has been going on lately, just have not had the chance, except for what I have been doing at home.

Sorry if I did not give you the answer you were looking for, hope it helps though

Accurate and detailed. IMHO.I like them a lot, could sit and listen to music 2 channel no sub all day long

Have not A/B ed the RF-63 with a RF-5, not always something easy to do around here. Things of that nature I would have to do after hours ( almost all of the time) and that is not as easy as one would expect.

RC-64 to the RF-35, same answer as above, but I would say they should be fine together. Reference old and new match very well with each other for most, if not all applications.

I have an RC-10 I have used with my RB-5s and felt the match was fine, used to use them in my bedroom HT.

I dont always get the chance to compare a floor with a center, unless it is in the same group. Usually after hours I listen to all of one product area, comparing new with older and that was a month or so ago. Usually during development and not necessarily the final version. My position here does not always allow time for evaluation of product at work. With as much that has been going on lately, just have not had the chance, except for what I have been doing at home.

Sorry if I did not give you the answer you were looking for, hope it helps though

Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I made a mistake referring to the RF35 - I actually meant how does the RC35 compare to the RC64? The new centers strike me as being very similar to the RC35. Maybe changes to xover points / drivers? I currently have the RC35 with RF5s and hear a tonal difference when sending a test tone from my receiver. RC35 sound darker than the RF5's and I was contemplating moving up to the RC7 when the news came out about the Reference line changes.

BTW - awesome looking system in your home!!!

Mark

I love my RF-7 speakers, and they sound GREAT! I have to say, I'm not crazy at all about the new look of the new line, looks nice but not as nice as the RF-7. Looks like a cheaper look, like trying to look like the new RF-35 with a third woofer, it's taken out the nice hefty look of the RF-7. It would also be nice if Klipsch would keep one top line floor model to be optimized for 2-channel only, as there are still alot of us who prefer 2-channel over multi-channel for us music purist.

The feet, I always felt, and still feel that Klipsch could have done a better job with the feet on the RF-7, those awful cheap plastic feet and have always gotten bad press in reviews for the cheap feet. Now with a price of $2500.00 a pair for the RF-83 and still cheap plastic feet.
Shame! Even I could do better! But wow, what a price jump, an extra $500.00 jump, sure wish I got a raise like that at work every year! Lucky if I even get one and iffen do, like only one dollar extra a month, yek!

I was hoping the new look would be more around the nice look and finish of the previous pics but
guess Klipsch changed their minds on it, oh or I think that one started at $4,000.00 a pair called Reference Premier. Well I'm very satisfied with the sound of the RF-7 and I was thinking about another Klipsch speaker, maybe I will just get another RF-7.

If Klipsch does as their history shows, the new line should be better in sound quality. Klipsch is known for making improvements to sound with their new models. Hope it holds true but I'm really doubting it with the specs so far.

..... I just called a few places and found 2 places that have the RF-7 that I got them to give me a steal of a deal on so first thing tomorrow morning I am going to be a proud owner of another
RF-7 and my best friend is going to buy a pair too. I can't wait! The new RF-83 looks too much made for HT than 2-channel. I LOVE the RF-7 sound, the horn and cones are great, the best of both Worlds.

Dude - All Klipsch speakers are designed for 2-channel performance. We believe if a speaker can't perform properly on 2-channel listening, it isn't going to cut it on multi-channel. 2-channel is still the most demanding test.

The appearance of the new RF-63 and RF-83, like anything else, is a matter of personal taste and preference. Our goal was to provide a common look top to bottom in the new Reference line. We've made a number of improvements, including the feet. They're still plastic but improved in look and performance. The drivers are much upgraded from the previous series and the woofers in the top models are not the same as those in the dual woofer models. The new compression driver is a real killer and though smaller in diameter than the RF-7 driver, it's a big step up in performance.

The cosmetics you've seen in prototypes for "premier" are not possible in speakers in the price range of Reference. And to close, the RF-83 is $300 a pair above the RF-7. With new cabinet construction (knife edge back), superior bracing, additional driver, much improved construction of the front panels and new compression driver; we feel the increase in cost is more than justified. Of course, the proof is in the listening and we await comment from the people who listen and possibly choose to purchase.

BobG is right - you need to HEAR them before you start saying this is bad or whatever.

I think some of you grossly underestimate Klipsch in terms of material

science and the ability to do things DIYers could NEVER, EVER do -

talent, resources, equipment, etc. Klipsch probably spent many

thousands of hours developing these speakers - how many DIY projects

claim that? How many DIYers can build their own drivers to

complement their exact needs and desires?

When I see how much better the F-3's are than the old SF-3's (even just

bass response), I imagine Klipsch made the same sort of improvements.

Remember, they are building high-performance speakers for real world

rooms - and I don't really think performance is being

compromised. The 'cheap' 8" woofers on my F-3's can do some

SERIOUS damage, they are incredible for what they are. The new

ones add another woofer, and they are better woofers, and cabinets, and

crossovers - I imagine they will kick a$$.

The RF-7's sold well, I imagine these sleeker, sexier speakers will do better.

Klipsch probably spent many

thousands of hours developing these speakers - how many DIY projects

claim that? How many DIYers can build their own drivers to

complement their exact needs and desires?

umm klipsch outsources their drivers too..... Be it the supposed best

speakers (Wilson Audio X2) to cheap sony's most speaker companies

outsource their drivers. JBL is one company that comes to mind that

does build their own drivers and speakers though. I am sure there are

more.

Klipsch does though have their request for a driver with the exact

needs and desires given within the laws of physics and the laws of

price. Klipsch does this by buying the usual bulk number of drivers in

order for oem companies to supply them the exact driver they want. Hell

if I wanted a exact spec driver I can have it done, I just need to buy

1000 of them and sell 999. Something most people's capital cannot do.

Ummm, that was kinda the point - I don't care if they or someone else

makes them. KLIPSCH 'makes' the drivers as in they spec them out

and have them built to certain standards. Its not like Klipsch

has to pick from exsisting catalougs of product, they do whatever the

want.

BobG, I'm sure what you say is true, and I'm glad to hear that because
I do really like Klipsch products and want them to stay very good!
I'll have a listen to them when it arrives in my area! :)

kenratboy, I'm not a DIYer and so far my favorite speaker choice has
been Klipsch. I love Klipsch speakers, but like I said, Klipsch has
a history of getting better sound to each new product, I'm happy to
hear so far that this may still continue, which is nice in a time and
age where some manufacturers put margins first. I am still very happy
I got a second RF-7 set because love the the sound and performance it
gives, I have no regrets there and I'm enjoying them and all four
playing together is even more incredible, gonna get another setup for
new RF-7 set and have a set in each favorite room.

If by chance I do really like the RF-83, than I can always add a third
pair and enjoy them all, but no way, by no way at all will I ever give
up my RF-7 speakers, it's one of the greatest speakers Klipsch has ever
made if you give it what it wants with very good equipment, the rewards
are wonderous and bliss. :)

• Klipsch Employees

FYI:

In the late 80's and early 90's Klipsch did build their own drivers. We still build some of our own pro drivers. But as with all speaker Mfg. we buy our part for the drivers we build. No one (not even JBL, makes their own cones, spiders, surrunds, baskets, ect.) They buy them (from china for the most part) to their spec.

The vendor checks the part, the "ISO guys" check the part and we check the part.

ISO is a third party co. that inspects all products before they make it to us.

I have a question for any Klipsch employees (perhaps primarily Bob because I know he's been doing some in home trials): How does the voicing of the new flagship center compare to an RF-7? I'm soon in the market for a center and I've been basically drooling over the new mamoth you guys have created but I think I'd rather have an RC-7 if there are going to be noticable timbre issues.

What a disappointment! A super RF-35 and a definate step down from the RF-7's 1.75 inch driver to a 1.25 inch one. I am glad I bought all Klipsch Professional speakers when Klipsch was great! I am not one of "The Emporer's New Clothes" admirers of this pathetic offerring. The Premier Series that Klipsch was supposed to release a year ago looked much better than this-it was 3-way and was something totally new. Even if this is 3-way instead of another horn KLIPSCH ADDS ANOTHER WOOFER??????? Paul Klipsch must be rolling in his grave to this pathetic example of what the company is turning into! Sorry folks-I don't have to hear this speaker to know it is less than the RF-7 and evolving into something even less Klipsch-like! Save Your Money and buy the Cornwall 3-at least it has a Klipsch design instead of the new Infinity-Like RF-83!