New Reference Series - PICTURES ARE HERE:

kenratboy

• Moderators

What a disappointment! A super RF-35 and a definate step down from the RF-7's 1.75 inch driver to a 1.25 inch one. I am glad I bought all Klipsch Professional speakers when Klipsch was great! I am not one of "The Emporer's New Clothes" admirers of this pathetic offerring. The Premier Series that Klipsch was supposed to release a year ago looked much better than this-it was 3-way and was something totally new. Even if this is 3-way instead of another horn KLIPSCH ADDS ANOTHER WOOFER??????? Paul Klipsch must be rolling in his grave to this pathetic example of what the company is turning into! Sorry folks-I don't have to hear this speaker to know it is less than the RF-7 and evolving into something even less Klipsch-like! Save Your Money and buy the Cornwall 3-at least it has a Klipsch design instead of the new Infinity-Like RF-83!

Just curious--What are you basing your opinion on? Have you heard the speakers?

I think Paul would be proud.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a disappointment! A super RF-35 and a definite step down from the RF-7's 1.75 inch driver to a 1.25 inch one. I am glad I bought all Klipsch Professional speakers when Klipsch was great! I am not one of "The Emporer's New Clothes" admirers of this pathetic offerring. The Premier Series that Klipsch was supposed to release a year ago looked much better than this-it was 3-way and was something totally new. Even if this is 3-way instead of another horn KLIPSCH ADDS ANOTHER WOOFER??????? Paul Klipsch must be rolling in his grave to this pathetic example of what the company is turning into! Sorry folks-I don't have to hear this speaker to know it is less than the RF-7 and evolving into something even less Klipsch-like! Save Your Money and buy the Cornwall 3-at least it has a Klipsch design instead of the new Infinity-Like RF-83!

Hmmmm... I smell a backup forum account. Anyway regardless of that, how are you deriving your conclusions based on the size of the compression driver? First of all you do realize that the Cornwall had a 1" compression driver on the high end. And on top of that, the mother of all PWK creations was the 2-way Jubilee. I'm not making any judgments right now because I haven't heard the system. Aesthetically speaking I think they look great, but that's just me. So how about you Save Your Opinions until you actually sit down and listen to it, m'kay?

As I said in my initial statement "I do not have to hear this speaker to know it is less than the RF-7". I believe once the RF-83 comes out and people are able to do a side by side comparison between the RF-83 and the RF-7 that my statement here will be proven correct. My disappointment is not only with the drivers used in this new offerring but also with the RF-83's design as compared with the "Premier Series" design that was supposed to come out last year-now that design showed some innovative thinking-it was 3-way, it had a mid AND tweeter horn and it was refreshingly different! This 3-woofer-1 horn design shows a departure for a speaker company that founded itself on the utilization of the horn for sound reproduction! I believe I've made my case.

• Moderators

You cannot compare the RF83s with the Reference Premiere that will be coming out probably later this year. COMPLETELY different speaker, not to mention exponentially more expensive.

We do not build speakers simply to make them unaffordable. We are "best in class,"--all classes of speakers-- which is something Paul believed in as well.

I am glad to hear that. I thought Klipsch had scrapped the Premier idea altogether. I own the KI-362. KP-301's, KP-301II's, KP-250II's currently and have owned a 1996 pair of LaScalas and a 1980 pair of Klipsch horns. I have also owned a complete 5-pairs of RF-7's as a home theatre and the entirety of most every line that Klipsch has produced since 1980 so I am not speaking without an extensive knowledge of what Klipsch sounds like and should sound like. I am looking forward to the Premier Series and will most likely purchase at least the main towers. I truly believe that my speculation will be correct on the RF-83 not measuring up to the RF-7 however. I have been very accurate over the years in predicting how things will sound by how they are configured. Whan I first saw the Legend Series literature I said to a friend of mine that the KLF-30 will probably sound similar to my Chorus II's but will fall short in the larger soundstage of the Chorus II's because of the smaller mid-horn and 2-12 inch woofers instead of the 1-15 inch woofer-I feel I was correct and that is only 1 example but does demonstrate my point.

I for one love the new design. I recently went in to the store to listen Klipsch line and really liked the design of the RF-35, but much rather prefered the sound of the RF-7. So I am extremley glad to see this new line. Plus the surrounds are just way better now to try to fit into places. So I can't wait to listen to these!

Bring on the new if it is better.

But I'm not changing my signature below till there's a 3way

whatever series, when ever it's out, I will wait. So far it's been 2 years. (not bad) In the mean time I will enjoy what I have. However I will try to get some friends to buy the new reference 4's.

..................... I have been very accurate over the years in predicting how things will sound by how they are configured. Whan I first saw the Legend Series literature I said to a friend of mine that the KLF-30 will probably sound similar to my Chorus II's but will fall short in the larger soundstage of the Chorus II's because of the smaller mid-horn and 2-12 inch woofers instead of the 1-15 inch woofer-I feel I was correct and that is only 1 example but does demonstrate my point.

Truely, a legend in his own mind

..................... I have been very accurate over the years in predicting how things will sound by how they are configured. Whan I first saw the Legend Series literature I said to a friend of mine that the KLF-30 will probably sound similar to my Chorus II's but will fall short in the larger soundstage of the Chorus II's because of the smaller mid-horn and 2-12 inch woofers instead of the 1-15 inch woofer-I feel I was correct and that is only 1 example but does demonstrate my point.

His perception is his reality, so he has a point.

Shhh May be he can predict the stock market

His perception is his reality, so he has a point.

Shhh May be he can predict the stock market

As is that of the Schizophrenic.........(shhh, be quiet !- I'm writing to someone).........[:D]

If he predicted to buy Enron - I'm outta here.

Cor, I can understand some of your concerns but you will be happy to know
that Klipsch just released the new Cornwall III, that does have the horn
midrange you prefer. I've had a few Heritage speakers but I still prefer
the RF-7 overall than any of the Heritage line, but it is a good thing
that Klipsch gives you a choice between the two lines for personal prefs.

I can't say I'm that crazy about the new looks of the RF-83, not that it's
bad in any way, just not what I would call an improvement visual wise from
the RF-7 but some here think the new design is just beautiful, again....
a personal pref. thing.

As far as the sound goes, I should have reserved judement until I heard
for myself to be fair to Klipsch! I'm sure Klipsch has put a lot of hard
work into the new line, and taking into mind what the average Klipsch fan
would like to see in the new product. So, I'll wait to hear what others
think of the new RF-83, and give them a listen for myself when it comes
to my area. The real tricky part to that is, if the dealer will have them
setup right to really hear what they can do, as most dealers didn't have
the RF-7's setup with the right equipment for it to give its best!

Just remember, it's best to keep an open-mind before final judement!
I have to remind myself of this too, because sometimes it can prove you
wrong if you don't! :)

I'm hoping it's as good as Klipsch is saying. Good luck to you, and enjoy!

Let me be the one to say it,

but the new speakers look sexy...like a woman with thin long lengs and a bikini...with a three breasts and a firebreathing mouth...im on fire,

seriously, I think the new line looks extremely sexy (for lack of a better word).

The old line was more macho, like a beefed up arnold (the rf7's)...it makes you feel muscular looking at them,

the new line just gives me satisfaction, like a beautiful woman..

Let me be the one to say it,

but the new speakers look sexy...like a woman with thin long lengs and a bikini...with a three breasts and a firebreathing mouth...im on fire,

seriously, I think the new line looks extremely sexy (for lack of a better word).

The old line was more macho, like a beefed up arnold (the rf7's)...it makes you feel muscular looking at them,

the new line just gives me satisfaction, like a beautiful woman..

I don't think those ports on the back are there for what you think they are.

I too think they look kinda nice.........not as nice as my '76 Corns......but decent nonetheless. [:)]

You know, I find it interesting that all the talk is about RF83's and there's no mention about the RF82. Why?????

Oh....and Amy, the photo guys made a good decision shooting that one pic in your house (the one shot from floor level with the speaker back against the wall). But gee whiz.....couldn't they have touched-up the paint on your baseboards near that fireplace?? [;)] [:P] [:)]

Tom