What is the advantage of RF3 to RB5

Audio Flynn

I bought the RB5s for a couple of reasons.

1. I wanted to have a large sound from a small box.

2. I wanted to hear the design improvement over my KSB 3.1s.

3. Chance to use experiment with different speaker stands,dampening, weighting and spikes.

4. Veneer matches wood trim in the family room.

5. Have owned many all black speakers in the past.

Why did you pick one or the other?

I have never had a chance to A/B the RF3 to the RB5 in my home environment.

True Deang the RB-5 sound faster then the RF-3.Why?Same mid bass drivers!The single driver is in a more solid box,this probably helps and the twin drivers share the same internal volume(does not help).

My dealer said the RF-7's are on "BACK ORDER" just great. cwm23.gif One thing they got is the RC-7 cwm12.gif

I will pick up a pair and compare.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I could not decide, so I bought both. I use the RB-5's for music listening and RF-3's primarily for home theater and some music listening. The Ear has it right, the RB-5's are a bit faster with bass, due to the single 8" driver. The question would be, are you going to use a subwoofer with either choice? If you are not, you might find the overall bass a bit more pleasing with the RF-3's. Just my 2 cents...

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

I like the thought of the "fast" description. I am listening to the Simon and Garfunkle box set set right now and the bass guitar and occassional low brass origonally recorded over 30 years ago sounds real. That is why we buy Klipsch of course.

I bought an Adire Audio Rava sub with a sealed cabinet for tighter bass in the under 50 hz range.

I run my RB5s as large in my Newcastle preamp setup.

The addition of the Newcastle separates in September makes a huge improvement in soundstage of the RB5s. I will never buy cheap power again.

Flynn,good quality amp and preamp do help alot.Its sad Klipsch speakers are paired with cheapo recievers in so many audio stores.

The store where I purchased most of my Klipsches lets the customer hear the Klipsch line with even very High-End gear.So the custome knows just how good Klipsch sound with quality amplification.

The RB-5's sound qulaity is very good,and with tube amplification its among the very best in its price range.

I like the big dynamics of Klipsch speakers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, the RF3's had better highs then the smaller bookshelfs, during the A-B test. Im not sure why, since Im pretty sure they have the same tweeter. One reason for this may of been the retarded sales rep. He pinned the bass full blast, and treble all the way to the bottem. He then showed me the Woofer movment.Then he started to feel the vibrations.

Im not sure what kind of fetish this guy had, but it was totally creeeeeeepy. That meathood would of worked on Cerwin Vega E-715, but not a klipsch.

Dont do drugs

------------------

Matthew

I have been employed as a Sales Engineer in the Automotive OEM parts supply industry for 19 years. Strange sales people really are obvious to me and I usually leave a store in less than 5 minutes.

It is a blesing to have such a great Klipsch dealer as Almas HIFI in southeast Michigan nearby. They have the entry level Klipsch speakers availiable for demos with Yamaha receivers and the upper level speakers availiable to listen to with Rotel separates almost all of the time. K Horns with Mc Intosh power also available for demo.

I do not get by their store very often and only rarely spend $ 1000 per year maximum, but I am always treated with respect. I know some of you fellow posters are not as pleased with your dealer options.

Most high end store personel run when I walk in. LOL

When they try to argue with me they always loose and I end up spending the day in the sound rooms.Testing,torturing the gear untill they scream so how is it going to be CASH,INTERACT OR CREDIT CARD.

cwm27.gif

And I have s subwoofer and amp fetish.If I cant reach close to 120dB in room at 25Hz the subs are TOO WEAK.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I just purchased the Reference series about a month ago & I'm loving it. I have the RB5 II. Until recently I've been using the set-up for home theater. Now I'm finally getting around to listening to music (stereo & 5 channel stereo). I spent most of yesterday listening to The Byrds Box Set. Those Richenbacker ( not sure of spelling - I was a drummer)guitars sound great through the Klipsch speakers - they just seem to sing out on those early tracks. The early country rock styles are fantastic. Over all I'm hearing so much more in the music than I used to hear. I'm not up on the terminology - maybe this is what is referred to as greater definition. I do know what my ears hear & like. I'm off work for 2 weeks & I plan to spend most of it jammin!

---------------------

Speakers: All Reference except sub

Mains - RB5 II

Center - RC3 II

Surround - RS3 II

Sub - KSW12