Difference between DeanG xovers & just upgrading caps?

whtboy

Guys,

About the original question: You need to remember that the original crossover networks that came with the speakers were desinged by PWK. He as not a god, he was simply a very good engineer who specialized in horn speakers with a special tallent for squeezing the most ot of what he had at the time. Crossover networks are just one part of a loudspeaker and were NOT his specialty. The science of crossover network / filter design is a specialty that is EXTREMELY involved. I have been designing passive filters for over 30 years and am a specialest in that area. I am still learng new stuff about it all the time. PWK also didn't have the computer software that I have. In fact, in his day, a computer was the size of a large room and had the computing power of today hand-help programable calculator! All this means that I can make a better network than PWK could make. SO, just replacing the caps in your "stock" crossover is definitly an improvement over old leaky caps, but that won't compare to nice new parts in a nice new design! There is a direct correlation between constant-impedance, "correctness" of a filter response and the smoothness of what you will hear. That's a promise!

AL K.

What are the price ranges for the new networks most people are using? I just dropped Bob a check in the mail for new diaphragms & caps, and I will rebuild my stock stuff as soon as the parts come in, but I'm still interested to learn more about what's available and how much you guys charge.

Thanks!

-jacob

Lorenzo,

You could have completely solved the "too bright" problem with a couple of L-Pads on the tweeters. All you had to do what talk to me! It happens when you replace an old network having bad caps with a more efficient design that doens't waste power and a high efficieny tweeter like the K77m with the square magnet. The tweeter level jumps way up. On the other hand, If it's the the squawker that is to "bright", you just move the taps! You did yourself a disservice by dumping them before investigating.

Al K.

"It happens when you replace an old network having bad caps with a more efficient design that doens't waste power and a high efficieny tweeter like the K77m with the square magnet. The tweeter level jumps way up."

YES, it does. I have done it with those tweeters in the Corns and measured it, around 3-5 DB increase between 5-8K.

As opposed to the L-pads are there AT tap options (I have the new AT) to tame the tweeter a bit? I really don't understand the AT, but I don't see tap options to reduce the tweeter by 1-2 DB and keep the mid the same.