Updgrading receiver (Yamaha to Denon). What will I notice?

atomicskiier01

I am currently using the Yamaha HTR-5760 for my Reference HT (See

sig). I have been playing with all of the settings and I have it

set up to my liking. After using the YPAO, I had to adjust the

gain on the center channel and the surrounds, as well as adjust the

crossover for the sub down to 40Hz (somebody chime in if that is too

low. the RF-35's go down to 37 I believe). The reason that

I bought this receiver is that my friend worked at Best Buy at the time

and I got it for under $300. While everything sounds awesome, the

upgrade bug is always biting, and I was thinking about going up to

something like a used Denon AVR-3805. I know that separates are

the best, so lets not even go there. What will be the first thing

that I notice when I watch something like "Star Wars: Episode III" with

my new receiver. Is it going to be a "wow, I can't believe that

the receiver makes this much difference", or is it going to be like

"Yeah, its better, but not $800 better". I know that the whole

Yamaha + Klipsch = Bright thing will come up, but what is going to be

the main difference besides that? For this thread, we will assume

100% home theater use.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha makes good products. I was perfectly happy with my Yamaha's (owned 3 AVRs) until I put my RXV 800 and Klipsch Legend HT in a large room where it sounded bright, before it sounded loud. I couldn't stand it.

After auditioning several receivers, I purchased the Denon 3803 ( right when it was being discontinued--good price [:)]) and it made a MAJOR difference in sound quality in that larger room (1600 sq. ft). I now have the AVR listed below and haven't felt the need to upgrade--That is my experience.

hey yo we got the exact same setup..and your asking the same questions i wanna know lolol..Ive been in a delima lately trying to figure this all out too..I really like that high end Yamaha HTR 5890 at 140 watts per channel but ppl are still telling me that denon 3805 is better..A hi fi store locally here is discontinuing them, in a few months i can get one for under 8 bills im sure...for 8 hundred im going with the 3805...im reading and its not only the wattage at 110 or 120 a channel ( hearing differnt specs) its the AL24 processing which supports the 192 khz sampling frequency for DVD audio.. the denon link wich processes from the DVD player and the Super CD player with better purity for musical reproduction. Also Ive read that the unit has a feature called 7 channel equal power that allows full power to all seven channels..(this feature i know will do better than Yamaha's 7 channel power supply) ...not to mention i like the cool touch pad remote the flip down cover on the face..it just looks beefier and better..So all that being said and all my research ive done..im getting one of them before they close out I think it will make a huge difference...I'm hoping...Monty

Yamaha makes good products. I was

perfectly happy with my Yamaha's (owned 3 AVRs) until I put my RXV 800

and Klipsch Legend HT in a large room where it sounded bright, before

it sounded loud. I couldn't stand it.

After auditioning

several receivers, I purchased the Denon 3803 ( right when it was

being discontinued--good price [:)]) and it made a MAJOR

difference in sound quality in that larger room (1600 sq. ft). I now

have the AVR listed below and haven't felt the need to upgrade--That is

my experience.

Right now, I live in an apartment and my living room is about 10 x

24. It seems like the Yamaha is doing a fine job with filling the

room (and then some). Am I right to assume that once I move into

a house with a bigger living room, that the Denon will potentially make

a much bigger difference?

I feel it will. Not only that, if loudness isn't an issue in your apartment, I think you will notice a difference in sound that you could appreciate there as well. My Main HT listed below is in a less than 16' by 22' area (albeit with high ceilings) and I am fortunate that I can crank it as loud as I want for as long as I want and my ears don't suffer.[:)] But again, that is just my experience--keep your receipt [;)])

hi guys,

I have a 5790, I use this now as pre/pro duty. IMO if you have a SS amp running seven channels it should weigh at least a hundred pounds. I dont see the difference between the Denon and Yamaha internal amps being all that different.

When I started using seperate amps the difference in Bass was staggering. I have eight channels between two amps and those two amps combined weigh over 170 pounds.

My yamaha just didnt have the power to really push Bass. and as usual you dont know what your missing until you experience it. That being said I would love to hear a Mcintosh mx-119 or a sunfire pre/pro

my two cents

I started out with a Yamaha RXV800 paired with the RF-3's,RC3,&RS-3, and it was brite, but not as brite when I went to the KLF-30's. And thats pretty much when the true quest started... And I never applied the crossover to the RF-3's I just gave them everything.

Well Atomics, since we have the same setup, and I am currently running a 3805 to power my 35 series, I'll tell ya what I think. Or better yet let me get my neighbor to tell you what he thinks.[:D] I only used my crappy sony with these speakers for like a couple weeks, so I don't have much comparing to tell you, but your speakers will enjoy the juice this reciever gives. The 3805 can basically run the freakin pentagon on its own. The one thing that sucks is you'll have to drop 60 bucks for the setup microphone(doesn't come with one). I tryed setting up my setup without it, but since I'm a noob--no go. I picked up mine for a 1,000 about 4 months ago--I think they've dropped since then.

Keep in mind the reason why they are cheaper(they used to be 1300) is because of the HDMI on the 3806's. That's why they are being discontinued. My sony 65" doesn't have HDMI, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Sorry for the long post! Good luck!

oh and the 40hz crossover is too low, it has been recomended to go one octave above your speakers abilities. Set at 80. remember that a crossover is gradualy sloping and your speakers will be going below 80hz.

buy two used crown amps for your front end use your yamaha to run the rears, extra money use towards a second sub. Thats the direction I would go

not looking good for the rxv-800

but bear in mind thats on the lower end of Yamaha

I wonder if it was really bright or just a total lack of low end foundation, or combination of both?

So was the Denon AVR 3803 when it was released. I think the difference in the 2 units, and in similar comparisons, is that the Denon's are high current designs. BTW, they also weigh more than the Yammi's.

I agree, I havent heard any Denon except in the showroom.

FrzninVT speaks highly of the 3803. So the difference I suspect is significant, but is the 3805 $800 significant? Thats what I am wondering

When I originally purchased my Yammi RSV 800, I talked myself out of the Denon 3803 (It was about $400 difference, if I am remembering right) because I thought their WPS was similar and watts were watts.

To make a long story short, after hearing the performance difference in the two I tried to rationally deduce why. What I came up with was that the Denon used better amps (weighed more?) that needed more power (don't have the 3803 book in front of me but the AVR- 3805 is similar and it's power consumption is rated at 7.1 Amps--considerably more than the Yamaha's) to deliver the goods at higher volumes into 5 or more channels.

BTW, I ended up getting the AVR-3803 at a good deal when it got discontinued. If I would have purchased that AVR first--I wouldn't have needed to get another receiver and would have saved money in the long run. [;)]

I agree, I havent heard any Denon except in the showroom.

FrzninVT speaks highly of the 3803. So the difference I suspect is significant, but is the 3805 $800 significant? Thats what I am wondering

{Edit: Oops. I thought you were asking about the price difference between the AVR-3803 and the RXV-800 at the time--not the 3805. [:$]}

what I mean by weight is the weight of the toroidal transformers in the amps I use.

compelling argument, I think you may be right.

I am not familiar enough with the Denon avr's. or the inner workings of amps. But I do know that when I stopped using my Yamaha's internal amp and got the DBX amps the difference scared me. Talk about Cornwall bass response. I still get an adrenaline rush when I let them breath a little