ALK Cornwall B replacement build - a challenge!

popbumper

An interesting challenge -

The 1976 Cornwalls I picked up about a year ago still sit idle, and I am finally getting around to starting work on them. The cabinets I built also sit idle, and the "hang-up" has been the lack of crossover networks - of course I do not wish to settle for the inadequate stock units.

Over the past several months I gathered up parts to build Al's Cornwall B replacement network, and figured it would be interesting to see if I could fit the components on my K-stack PCB's. Dean makes a beautiful point to point rendition of this network, and I saw it as a challenge to adapt the components to my PCB's.

After about an hour of working on these tonite, they are coming together nicely, but the small real estate of the boards makes for some curious geography of parts since there are, well, quite a few!! I have not finished these yet, but probably will have something together over the next week or two, at which time I plan to do a critical listening session. I am looking quite forward to hearing these units.

Just so I am clear, I am building these units for my own consumption as I am aware of the agreement that Al and Dean have regarding "trademark". I just wanted to share what I am working on, and will share pics of these once they are done.

Chris

I am also looking at building those for mine, I just ran the number to get the parts yesterday. let us know what you think of the sound.

Anyone like to offer the component value changes to account for the K401 horn, i.e. move the mid and low xover points to 400hz?

"Anyone like to offer the component value changes to account for the K401 horn, i.e. move the mid and low xover points to 400hz?"

As I understand it, that is not possible with that circuit. (?)

Terry

"Please clarify if you would - the circuit calls out a 39uF on the woofer circuit, not a 62uF"

There is an update within the zip file on Al K's site. The values in the LP were changed due to some realization on woofer impedance.

Bummer if that circuit can't be changed to a 400hz xover point. I was just going to use ratios to adjust it....