Secrets of the Beehive....

MarkBK

Meagain was using this CD as a test for her Khorns and I decided to pick it up to hear what was being used for testing. Being a fan of Riuichi Sakamoto and seeing him on this album cinched it.

Meagain - the sibilance you mentioned on SSSSSS September : David seems to have been a big fan of reverb on this CD (mixed forward in the mix and wet) and that comes off very clearly but not harsh on my Mac tube/RF5 system. Track 5 is a nice one to use for soundstage depth imaging, etc. Track 7 has a nice focused acoustic bass mix. Overall the album is interesting - nice mix of acoustic instruments / Synths - lots of air around the instrumentation - definitely a dark atmosphere.

Picked it up at overstock.com for those interested.

Hi Mark. I tried to PM a response to you a few times when the board was down but gave up cuz it wouldn't work. Sakamoto seems to be with David on everything he does. Anyway - I wouldn't have pegged 'reverb' on anything with this album, but what do I know? So the S's and T's (especially in the first part of the album) were also in your face but not painful? Is that what you're saying? When I have it loud, if it hits a certain level to my ears - I wince for a second.

If loud, it's not at wince level for you? I wonder how it would sound for you if played through a different amp? Curious how much the amp would affect such a thing.

We've been playing around with this Behringer DEQ2496 and it seems to have chilled it out a bit, but I think I need new x-overs.

I love the trumpet on this album. So pretty.

Ah, you got the Behringer. I didn't think it would be a cure-all. At least it's an improvement. Whicvh band(s) are you turning down and how much? BTW: Doesn't it sort of "kill" other aspects of the song besides some of the sibilance?

The most notable thing I heard to reduce sibilance was Craig LeMay's tubes - especially the tube pre.

I don't seem to have that problem, though. Whatever sibilance is in mine has never been annoying - or I never paid attention enough to get annoyed.

Is there a mainstream song that annoys you which I might have and could try on mine? Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Supertramp, Genesis, Deep Purple, Rush. I bet you could find one among those names.

I didn't think it would be a cure-all either. Not sure 'anything' would be. But it offers a DRAMATIC difference and that difference is up to you. I like that control. We're not done playing with it by any means - in fact, we took a break from it for nearly a week, and hope to get back to it this weekend. Right now, we're getting more detail in the highs with it.

I don't have Sibilance issues on anything but this album and that's mostly in the beginning of it. The Behringer worked to lessen it.

Right now, I'm thinking of springing for new x-overs. It'll just take me a year to figure out what's best for me as if I spring for the 'big bucks' types - I'll need to do this right.

meagain, I have that album on vinyl and have played it several times. I don't ever remember hearing any sibilence but will listen again this weekend and see. It is rather a dark album, but I enjoy it alot. Especially late in the evening, lights down low and sitting by the glow of the tubes.

I really enjoy listening to music with very little light. It seems to cut down on visual distractions and brings the music more to life. Veird huh?

Hi Mark. .... - I wouldn't have pegged 'reverb' on anything with this album, but what do I know? So the S's and T's (especially in the first part of the album) were also in your face but not painful? Is that what you're saying? When I have it loud, if it hits a certain level to my ears - I wince for a second.

If loud, it's not at wince level for you? I wonder how it would sound for you if played through a different amp? Curious how much the amp would affect such a thing.

Meagain,

Even loud 95+db it is not painful - the mix on the first song is - in my opinion - a bad mix - with David's voice mixed VERY in your face - combined with the reverb effect does give it a sharp edge (not harsh but very well defined) to the singing. Remember - poorly recorded music will often expose these shortcomings on Khorns. At a higher volume, the jump in dymanics like on the first song can be hard to take - to my ears too.

Xovers upgrades will only help - not hurt your sound. The ROOM is going to be your biggest challenge. A better front end (CD player) would be a good investment too - You might consider a Denon 2900/2910 or even the Phillips 963a used if you can find one. WIth a $50 cap change in the power supply - it makes for an incredible player.

Yes, the mix seems to get better as the album goes on (to me). I don't mind his singing in my face cuz (to me) that's what it's all about - his beautiful (IMO) voice.

I'm gleaning that new x-overs or new caps would chill out any harshness and I've yet to experience that. But we got the Behringer DEQ2496 to help with room issues which I suppose we'll always have no matter where the khorns end up.

I'll have to see if those cd players also do DVD. I'm clueless about all that and what the difference is between a dedicated cd player vs. one that also does dvd's. It would be nice to get away with one unit that does both very well. I know the new HD DVDs are coming out now so that's another research project. All I know is hubby hooked up his computer, etc. to grab the music more cleanly and in comparison to the Toshiba CD/DVD, we heard no difference.

The learning curve for a newbie like me is overwhelming. One of you guys should write a book on it.

The Denon's do all the formats - DVD,DVD-A,SACD,CD,etc. With the new HD DVD format coming out, it does make it difficult to invest now - BUT the format is still in the wars phase - Blue Ray vs. HD DVD. In addition, media will have to also be recut to this format. I'd rather play now and worry about the format after the shakeout. The Denons offer one of the best bang for the bucks. For DVD/DVD-A the oppo player can't be beat - 200.00!

Yea - the Oppo. Was considering that one. He just explained to me the issue with the hd dvd format war. Darn. Sounds sort of like a Beta vs. VHS deal. I'll look into that Denon! Taking other suggestions also.

Yep! - Beta vs VHS all over again!. Check out the archived reviews on hometheaterhifi.com for Universal players like the Denons. I have personally A/B'd the 2900 to the Phillips 963A - audio was close until I modded the 963a - then it sounded better to my ears - although we are talking about VERY subtle differences. Also bear in mind the Denons do video VERY well too! The Phillips does NOT do DVD-A (bummer!)