Heresy Woofer Thiel/Small parameters

horndog

The original Heresy used a K22E.The Eminence specification number for this was the 12447.Fs=33hz Qm=4.61 Qe=.38 Qts=.35 Vas=6.02 cu ft Sd=86.6" X-max=.08" SPL=94.8dB/2.83V Re=6.8 Le=1.02 Pe=100 BL=15 For a small box 3 cu ft with an Fb=35.6hz is good.For a large box 4.5 cu ft with an Fb=31.6 is good.A 4.5 cu ft box also gives a Qtc=.5 when sealed.This is about the size of a Chorus.While the X-max is quite short it seems adequate for amps up to about 150 watts.

hello djk,

I appreciate the information. The inside dimensions of my Heresy's are only 19.88 x 14 x 11.75 for a total volume of 1.86 cu ft less all the occuppied space within the box. So at a minimum it appears that the enclosure must be doubled in size. I'll have to see if these software packages would allow one to calculate the expected improvement.

I believe I have the original Heresy which I recall purchasing in 1978. I had read it was a -K somewhere but I stand corrected. My woofer is simply labeled K-22.

Cheers,

Brian

The numbers I gave should apply to your 1978 K22.The bulk of the Heresy manufacture used this Eminence woofer.Most were not marked -E but had a date code starting with 67-xxxx 137- was CTS and 649- was EV.The TS parameters I gave would not apply to non-Eminence drivers.The K22K was produced in house by Klipsch for replacement use after the original Heresy was discontinued for the Heresy II.It looks quite different than the Eminence and I am sure has different TS parameters too.While sealed box designs are quite tolerant of different parameters vented designs are not.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys... I was planning out my DIY Heresy based centre channel in my head... but in order to avoid modifing the crossover, I figured by matching the Thiel/Small parameters of the original woofers with 2 woofers in parallel or series (depending on what matches) i should be ok ?

Well, i have to leave it to this forum, to get an answer without posting the question... 2.gif

All the parts are for my project are from a Heresy 1 with type "D" x-overs and the woofers i'm matching are K-22-EF . I do believe that one has a 137- type of number with a nickle basket.

Are these T/S close enough to run with?

thanks...

Rob

Note that T/S parameters give you box volumes and predicted responses ONLY if you intend to operate the woofer within the small signal parameter assumption necessary to ensure the models physical validity. The model collapses when driver linearity is lost which, for most drivers, is at relatively low SPLs. You then have "a" box with "a" driver in it.

I'm assuming that we aren't going beyond the drivers mechanical or electrical limits... But, in GENERAL, won't two drivers with similar T/S placed in the same box and model similarly, also sound similar??

I'm looking to build a centre using Heresy I components but perhaps compromising the woofer by using two smaller units... for the more convenient form factor. T/S was to be a starting point for choosing these.

----------------

On 5/19/2003 12:05:50 AM formica wrote:

I'm assuming that we aren't going beyond the drivers mechanical or electrical limits

Motor linearity isn't defined by the operating limits of the driver

But, in GENERAL, won't two drivers with similar T/S placed in the same box and model similarly, also sound similar??

At low SPLs, agreed. (but then again, don't ALL loudspeakers sound the same at low SPLs???)

I'm looking to build a centre using Heresy I components but perhaps compromising the woofer by using two smaller units... for the more convenient form factor. T/S was to be a starting point for choosing these.

If you use T/S parameters the box you build will be designed around the assumption that you will operate the driver at low SPLs. That is why they are called SMALL SIGNAL PARAMETERS.

----------------