"Digital vs. Analog"--Here's another good material

RAPTORMAN

Tom,

Yup, those connect the dots people always overlook the reconstruction filter.

BTW for everyone else... I found the thread I had mentioned earlier... check out...

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=65268&forumID=66&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={CD9B7A16-3554-4AFA-9683-40DBB84DA6BD}

Where this all got hashed out before and it has pictures of the so called 'connect the dots' digital.

Shawn

Undergraduate students rarely are capable of shedding light on complex issues such as this one, this kid is probably no different. His proposal for research could lead to an interesting study BUT the majority of studies performed by undergrads are really meant to educate THEM in the theory and process of conducting scientific experiments NOT to break new ground. I suspect that this kid may get his project approved and I would like to see his results but I doubt he will be able to add significanlty to the debate. He will however learn about what NOT to do when trying to produce a sicentifically sound study related to this issue, I guarantee you that. regards, tony

My own experience is that non-audiophiles typically prefer the analogue sound of vinyl when confronted with it. My wife, for example, who could not give a rats arse about audio states simply "the vinyl sounds better" each and every time we hear the two formats playing against each other - and switching between them she can spot the analogue immediately.

In my house it's just the opposite. My wife doesn't give a rat's arse either. Actually, she wants CDs to sound better. They take up less room. Whenever I do the switching test with her, she always insists the one that sounds better is the CD. She'll tell me, "THIS one is the CD. It sounds cleaner and clearer." I laugh because she picks vinyl EVERY time. She never believes me.

My own experience is that non-audiophiles typically prefer the analogue sound of vinyl when confronted with it. My wife, for example, who could not give a rats arse about audio states simply "the vinyl sounds better" each and every time we hear the two formats playing against each other - and switching between them she can spot the analogue immediately.

In my house it's just the opposite. My wife doesn't give a rat's arse either. Actually, she wants CDs to sound better. They take up less room. Whenever I do the switching test with her, she always insists the one that sounds better is the CD. She'll tell me, "THIS one is the CD. It sounds cleaner and clearer." I laugh because she picks vinyl EVERY time. She never believes me.

Conclusion the same - merely the aim is different.

I think my wife never recovered from my first CD player in 1984. I had spent a huge sum (in those days) on it and when we played CD's for the first time she really hated it. Since then she maintained vinyl was better - and I ignored her. So who is the fool?

Filter this filter that, analog in analog out requires no filter to sound like it is[:)]

As MAX says, put the right cash $10,000 into your analog rig and get real music or go by a $300 CD player and call it a day[;)]

For the 1% of JacksonBarts Rice Krispy's guys I'll take 99% of the real deal any day.

The real reason you need a sub or digital is your all getting older and it's a known fact that the ears go and all most old guys hear is the thump or lack of shrill from digtal and this is the camp I'm from[:D]

I have been here before and yes I have a pleathora of digital devices that I always get listener fatigue from and that is because digital will always have edge regardless of what format it's in the digital process plain and simple[:|]

OK digi heads let's light this baby up[<:o)]

Come Duke you still have a 707 and 909!

I was just thinking to myself last night while sitting in my shop listening to MC900ft Jesus on my Onkyo cassette running thru my old SAE rec and thinking how much better that cassette always sounded in my car before I went digital there also and I may just put that hissing monster back in my Golf[8]

Catch this one on the flip side!

"analog in analog out requires no filter to sound like it is"

Ever listened to vinyl without filtering?

It sounds horrible.....

It is always amusing when the vinyl guys complain about a simple low

pass filter while ignoring nearly 40dB worth of EQ/filtering in their

playback.....

Shawn

The real reason you need a sub or digital

is your all getting older and it's a known fact that the ears go and

all most old guys hear is the thump or lack of shrill from digtal and

this is the camp I'm from[:D]

Hmmm...I'm 21 and my ears test out fine and I totally prefer digital. I

would think most of the old guys growing up around analog would be more

predisposed to the flaws inherant in the design and therefore do not

notice them as readily. I've actually grown up around live sound and

studio work...started seriously listening to recorded music at 18.

Nevertheless, I've still got 13 years of experience behind the live and

studio desks - even starting off completely analog actually.

You might try getting rid of your SET distortion box when you listen to

CD's...seems when you improve your medium the other flaws in your

system are revealed [:P]

You guys do realize it is quite a trivial process to get the "analog

sound" recorded on digital right? Whenever I'm mic'ing a drum kit with

naturally harsh cymabls, I'll go ahead and use a reel to reel (or even

cassette deck) as an "effect" to tame them down. Even when mixing on

the road for a live concert, I keep one of those CD cassette deck

adapter things in my toolbag...and whenever the analog sound is needed,

you just run an insert into the cassette adapter and then return from

the outputs of the cassette deck. Oh the wonderful sound of saturated

tape heads. (It works great for fattening up sounds, especially vocals