This is gonna F#@'n rock!!

hillbilly

Ever get real lucky? My dad and my stepmon are musicians. Have been for years. They don't go out and do big gigs anymore. I was telling my dad how I wanted to look at some pro amps for my stereo. He says "You can have this old Carver amp." I'm like, cool man. He gives it to me, I look it up, and its freaking 450w per at 8 ohms! PM 1.5 ftp://208.187.38.55/Carver/Manuals/pm/pm1.5manual.pdf That's exactly the kind of amp I wanted. Grossly overpowered, perfect. I'm totally freakin stoked right now. But the questions quickly formed so I need you guys' help please. I posted a while back "power hungry not rich" and I got some ideas about a pro amp in my system but I forgot most of it due to the fact the amps I wanted were all way out of my budget right now. But, free ninety-nine was well within my budget. Dads are cool. Anyhow, I would appreciate any and all advice on hooking it up to my Yamaha receiver. I've seen XLR to RCA, and 1/4" to RCA. Which is a better match? How can I calibrate this thing with the rest of the surround sound? Anything else I should know? I want to set this beauty up right the first time.

Thanks

post-19752-13819279105402_thumb.jpg

Nice score! I had a Carver M500t that was similar in size and power (250W/8R) that I drove with the preamp of my old Yamaha CR600 receiver. Mine had two big watt meters on the face and sounded good. As sand amp go, the Carvers are pretty smooth and real powerful.

Great score Ian. So you'll be using your receiver for a pre? You'll have to have pre-outs on it, then I'd run the CF-3s off the monster and the center and 2 surrounds off onboard amps. Get a SPL meter and calibrate each channel. Those epics are gonna be pretty intense with that Carver. Too bad it's not a 3 channel, at least the front 3 would be the same class. If Sunburnwilly ever gets a new amp, his new/my old Carver @ 360 x 3 would be great for your center and surrounds. Then the amp and center would be reunited way the hell out in Colorado. You're gonna need to spring for a neighborhood party and make good friends with everyone. Maybe but in some shatter-proof windows, too.

Billy

Wassup Billy.

Here's a pic of me causing probable hearing damage with a little Corrosion of Conformity. It's a little blurry. I'm in love with that amp. There's enough volume to make you wonder why the hell you would want it that loud, but it's still crystal clear. What fun! The Yamaha is the pre-amp now. That'll free up some outputs. Now I want to wire the porch and kitchen with the A/B. Had to crank the gains up on the Carver, appearantly there's some impedence matching issues. Luckily, I've found that it is very close in volume level to before. The limit for music used to be about -8 or -5 db. Now it's -5 to -2. May just turn dowm the center a bit. Don't have $50 to get an SPL meter right now.

post-19752-13819279137074_thumb.jpg

As long as your Carver Pro power amp is functioning properly, you should be in business. I drove my classic Cornwalls at one time with both my M-400t "cube" amp and a newer TFM-35x, and never had a single issue with either of them. They were way more power than the Cornwalls ever needed, but they both produced loads of clean, accurate power for even my most power-hungry loudspeakers (JBL and Magnepans before I obtained my dad's Klipsch). Congrats on your "new" power amp, and enjoy![;)]

post-11084-13819279174606_thumb.jpg