Testing For A Bad Tube

easyeyes

On my way home from work today I purchased a New CD that I really wanted to listen to, when I got home and turned every thing on and put in the CD I noticed a "thumping/popping" sound coming from my right speaker. I checked all of the connections to the speaker from the amp, preamp etc but no fix, this is the first time that this has happened to me since my switch to tubes 3 years ago. I had some old EL 34s that I took out a few years back and placed them in the said amp and the problem disappeared; not trying to be too astute here but I take it that a tube was bad.

I'm looking for a decent and reliable tube tester that I can use to test my current tubes and my future purchases. I asked NOS Valves about one of these a while back in a conversation and he mentioned his that costs about a $1,000--too much. He also mentioned another (cheaper) one but I can't find the piece of paper that I wrote it down on. Any info that you can pass along to me is greatly appreciated. Also, this doesn't have to be a new piece of equipment, I do not mind buying used; if there is $20 difference between used and new I'll go with the new.

It will be a while before I respond to anyone regarding this, I live in the UK and it's about 9:30 pm; I'm headed to bed in about 30 mins or so.

EE

I would stick with one of the more mainstream tester, the links provided above identify those pretty well. If you do go to something less popular, be sure it has the tube chart, schematic and calibration procedures or that you are sure that you can get them. You should be able to get a decent example of a mainstream tester for under $200 USD.

Cool link Thebes!

I have been calling around for days trying to find someone with a tube tester and we'll there ain't none around these here parts : (

So I took the four Sylvania 6SN7s that I pulled from newly aquired webster electrics and rolled them all through my george wright preamp. I was lucky they all worked! Woohoo.... I don't know if my 0D3 or KT88s are any good though.