Factory Damped Heresy Woofer?

Corvette6769

Overlook the fact that to spite the seller's 1989 claim, these are actually the 1985 model, but looking at the binding post cup, I do see that these are rated 50Hz-20kHz (Klipsch specifications show the Heresy II as 63Hz-20kHz) so I am guessing they are using leftover Heresy K-22 woofers with the Heresy II K-76-K tweeters and K-53-K midrange drivers, or was there actually a "factory dampened" woofer?

http://boston.craigslist.org/ele/127231533.html

Klipsh Heresy ll speakers, Rare... Excellent shape - $749

Reply to: sale-127231533@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-21, 12:15PM EST

I am selling my cherished Heresy II's, with the rare factory issued damped woofer cones. This model is very, very seldom listed for sale, and when they are, they bring the highest dollar of any Heresy ever issued. These speakers were made in 1989 and have a beautiful unfinished birch finish, ready to be stained to match your decor or left alone. More importantly, they have the rare factory damped woofer, which dramatically extends the low frequency down to -3db at 50 hz! If you connect these to a tube amplifier, you will be hard pressed to beat the sound without spending at least double the price. I am quite familiar with great quality sound...believe me these sound GREAT!

The Heresy 3-way design has a dedicated midrange horn and a 12" woofer. I don't know why Klipsch stopped making such a good thing because they don't sound like this anymore!

SPECIFICATIONS:

Birch cabinets in Great Condition, with original angled wood risers for the base
Light honey color weave grills with Klipsch logo's
Sensitivity: 94 db@1watt/1meter
Frequency Response: 50-20,000Hz +/- 3db
Maximum long term Continuous Power: 100 watts
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Manufactured: 1989
Consecutive Serial Numbers and I'm the original owner with manual

Similar pair on eBay recently sold for $787 plus shipping (these are very heavy). Pick them up in the Boston South Shore area for only $749 or B.O. only accepting cash in hand.

this is in or around Stoughton

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

R9WqWCsqhz6OGJ0dy0F3YPIfW3ur.jpg

zU4jrEE0EPFmOT3JU9aMVweMpyXc.jpg

6JzeAJJiMaYpr45i4i8CVWB0DjLV.jpg

VskPyHuuejUsRckq8jHXusq6dbmX.jpg

I just looked at an old Heresy 1 spec and it tated 50hz-17Khz

I doubt there is anything different about his woofer, probably regurgitating something he heard once.

I doubt anyone would try to dampen a woofer. Wouldnt that slow it down and make it less efficient.

Also remember the design of the undersized Heresy box size forces

the upper bass to be tighter and louder to match the midrange.

JM

Yes, the pre-Heresy II specification is 50Hz-17kHz ±5dB which is why I assume the early Heresy II may have still used K-22 woofers which would account for the 50Hz rating on a Hersey II (which Klipsch publishes to be 63Hz ±3dB and a K-24-K woofer).

Still wondering why Klipsch specifications for the Heresy and Cornwall are ±5dB and every other Klipsch model I have seen shows specifications at the industry standard ±3dB including Heresy II and Cornwall II. Can anyone tell me why Klipsch would do that?

EV made a 12" dampened woofer back in the 60's. I have a pair of EV's with them in it they are about the same size as Heresy. The woofer looks from the front the same as the red surround EV made Heresy woofer.From the back the woofer has what looks like white Styrofoam glued to the paper cone.

These speaker go much lower than the Heresys and are good speakers.

"Still

wondering why Klipsch specifications for the Heresy and Cornwall are

±5dB and every other Klipsch model I have seen shows specifications at

the industry standard ±3dB including Heresy II and Cornwall II. Can

anyone tell me why Klipsch would do that?"

The 5dB figure probably allows them to claim

50Hz, where the 3dB point would be a higher frequency. Sure seems to

have impressed the guy selling those Heresy II's.

"Still wondering why Klipsch specifications for the Heresy and Cornwall are ±5dB and every other Klipsch model I have seen shows specifications at the industry standard ±3dB including Heresy II and Cornwall II. Can anyone tell me why Klipsch would do that?"

The 5dB figure probably allows them to claim 50Hz, where the 3dB point would be a higher frequency. Sure seems to have impressed the guy selling those Heresy II's.

I kind of thought that too, which sort of brings me back to my related question in another thread as to why Klipsch specifications for the Heresy and Cornwall are ±5dB and the rest of the Heritage line is the industry standard ±3dB ?

I am also wondering why if they use the same tweeter and midrange drivers, why is the Cornwall good through 20kHz and the Heresy, La Scala, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn only 17kHz?

Moreover, with the cumulative research and resources of everyone here, I am surprised that nobody has the Klipsch Max Acoustic Output ratings for the Cornwall II, Cornwall, Chorus, Forte, or Heresy.

I believe that the K77 tops out at 17kHz.

The Heresy II and Cornwall II have a different tweeter.

Yes, Kilpsch specifications show the Heresy II, Heresy III, T-4000, Tangent 400, Tangent 500 and Academy have a K-76 tweeter, Forte, Forte II, T-5000 have a K-75 tweeter, Chorus, Chorus II, Cornwall II use the K-79 tweeter, but Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn all are K-77 tweeter, so why is the Cornwall good through 20kHz and the Heresy, La Scala, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn only 17kHz?