Floorstanding RF25's or the Bookshelf RB-75

SemperFi91

I'm thinking of purchasing my first pair of Klipsch speakers. I've been reading a lot of reviews and articles about them and have auditioned the RF-25 and the RF-35's. I was reading some of the reivews and specs on the RB-35's and RB-75's and they look to be almost as powerful (if not more) than the floorstanding RF-25/35 line. I have the room for floor standing speakers and was just wondering if there was any drawbacks to getting the bookshelf speakers over the floor standing ones? If I were to purchase the RB series for my mains, would the RB series work well for surrounds or the RS series?

My room is approximately 14' x 18'. My receiver (at this time) is a Sony STR-DE898 (which I've been looking at others to replace if I get these Klipsch speakers - any suggestions on that also?). The RF-7's are a little out of my price range and I think they would be a little too big for the room.

So all you Klipsch experts, could you help a newbie out here with some suggestions? Thanks.

OK the numbers here are a bit misleading, which is why you cannot rely on just the specs entirely. If you noticed the mating group for the RB-75's were the members of the R(x)-7 family. And the RF 25 mated to the R(x)-25/35. A world of difference in performance there. When you see a bookshelf match or exceed the performance of a floor stander at least in the numbers game that should tell you the bookshelf is, at least more than likely, the better of the 2. This bookshelf actually outperforms the RF 25 by quite a bit IMO. I think/know you have a much better building block to go from with the RB 75 than you do with the RF 23/35. So in the interest of brevity I will just say go with the RB 75 or wait until the new Ref line comes to market. The RB-75's make an awesome surround if you then migrate to the RF 7's and so on. I am not a fan of the RS-(x) stuff but that is just my personal opinion. Plenty of other folks seem to like them.

Edit: Congrats in advance on your prospective purchase and welcome to the forum I just noticed this was your first post.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Welcome to the forum SF-91. [:)]

The speakers you are looking at have JUST been discontinued. If you are fortunate to be able to find a dealer with them in stock you may be able to get a good deal. You also didn't mention the RF-7's but that would be my first choice for front speakers.

If you can find a pair of RF-5's or RB-75's to use with the RC-7 center, and depending on your listening area, either the RS-7's or RB-75's as surrounds, would be what I would recommend. If you listen to a considerable number of Concert Dvd's or multi channel music, the RB-75's would be your best bet. If you have a small central sitting area you may also prefer the RB-75's for movies.

IMO, the RS-7's would work better if you have a wider listening area with several seating situations (i.e., couch and a couple of chairs). They may also work better if you use your HT area for alot of walking around while you are enjoying multichannel material.

I would pair all that up with a Denon AVR-3805 (also recently discontinued) and find a good sub. You may never need to upgrade. Also if you are on a budget you may be able to appreciate the smaller RB or RS series as surround speakers and still have a killer Home Theater. Good Luck.

I just auditioned the RB75's along with the RF7 and compared them to the RF5s (which I currently own) - Since they are discontinued - I was interested in completing the system with matched components. As the NEW series has not yet been offically reviewed, I thought I would buy while I could. I also thought I would revisit the RF7's since I could get them at a reasonable price.

TO MY EARS: The RB75 is an awesome bookshelf - good mid and high end response - bass a little lacking as to be expected with a smaller ported cabinet - very musical and accurate for its size. Mate this with a subwoofer , RS7 and the RC7 or even RC35 and you have a great system for Home Theater. I did not listen to the RB35's.

The RF7s are indeed an awesome speaker - but they do exhibit a dip in the upper midrange to MY EARs- although the horn driver is excellent for high end - great bass from the dual 10" woofers. RF5s - glad I purchased them when I did and while I would welcome the RF7's as an addition, I would not replace the RF5s with the RF7s.

My room is similar in size - 13'6" x 22' - I have the Sony STR-DE1075 for Home Theater and McIntosh vintage tube gear for serious 2 channel music.

As far as receivers - Denon is a good way to go 3802/3803. etc used would be a great choice. I have had a friend bring his 3802 over for review in my room with my speakers, etc and it was a major step up in sound quality - although the Sony is not bad - just sort of generic from my perspective.