Suggestions for audio related books

ranjith

I was at Chapters the other day buying a "Greatest Fighter Jets" book, and as I picked it up off the sale rack I saw a "Sound Design" by David Attwood. Ummm interesting, its been marked down from its normal CDN$45 down to $9.99... I pick it up flip through, see a small section about the Klipschorn. Now I'm more intrigued than ever. So I bought the books and head home. Then I read some reviews on Sound Design, one which I will attach a pdf in my next post. Its a very nice book on the significance of various designs that audio related products have gone through since the 1950s until the digital age of today. It would be a GREAT buy for any, be it the audiophile or the casual listener. Its got hundreds of photographys, both color and B&W. Many ads and phamplets from the 50s and 60s. The author lists most of the legendary equipment... such as the Marantz 8b , the 7 Preamp, Klipschorn, early Heathkit tube amps and many many more (all with pictures of course). It also has a lot about the early 78s, LPs, TT players and also a some about the current ones. I distinctly remember a section on some early Gerrard TTs and the new Oracle CDP. Quite a diverse book. This is not a technical read. It is simply a book on how the designs have come and gone over the years, reasoning behind most of it, the trendsetters and so on. It can be found for quite cheap on Amazon I believe. I'd recommend it to all, I know for a fact that a lot of you will be flipping through and slip into some nostalgia.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest other good audio related books out there? I'm a beginner, so nothing too technical about building some tube amp from scratch. That'll go totally over my head. But any book that can get me started on most of the basics of audio, speaker design and such. Thanks,

Ranjith

post-17745-13819280905958_thumb.jpg

I've been commuting long hours for almost 20 years and I've listened to about 200 books on tape over the years. A few of my favorites:

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (7 in all) - best by far. Make sure to get the versions read by Frank Muller, the greatest reader of all-time. Nobody even comes close. He was injured in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and will most likely never read again.[:(]

Pat Conroy's Beach Music and Prince Of Tides (both read by Muller), Lords Of Discipline, The Great Santini

John Katzenbach (sp?) - Hart's War You may have seen the movie with Bruce Willis but it doesn't come close. Also read by Muller.

Stephen King's The Body - You probably know it better as the movie Stand By Me. It was a novelette by King. Also read by Muller (see a pattern here?)

Stephen King's The Green Mile, also read by Muller - Even if you've seen the movie

Ken Follett's A Dangerous Fortune

If you like John Grisham, all of his books are on tape. They're easy listens just like reading him. Also, Dean Koontz has some good ones. I especially liked Fear Nothing and its sequel, Seize The Night, both read by Keith Szarabajka.

Make sure to only get unabridged versions.

When you're finished with those, let me know and I'll give you some more ideas.[;)]

Loudspeakers and Enclosures by Badiemaff (sp?) and Davis. Somewhat dated but a good introduction to the subject.

High Performance Loudspeakers by Martin Colloms. Very dense reading and poo-poos horns, but excellent in all other respects

Acoustics by Harry F. Olsen. The 'bible' of acoustical knowledge. Not updated for about 40 years but still a classic.

The collected Dope From Hope by Paul Klipsch et al. Has been offered as a PDF on this forum from time to time.

Gary, sweet list - thanks. I own the first 14 from Grisham but then trailed off after that. I got 8 of them at a garage sale 2 springs back for 25cents each from a gentleman. I've read King's Green Mile and The Body but I've yet to read The Dark Tower series. Will checkout some bookstores and library. I vaguely remember reading a Ken Follett book few years ago can't remember the title but it definitely wasn't A Dangerous Fortune. Will checkout the rest you mentioned, hopefully either the local public library or the school's will have most of them.

Boom3, Thanks a bunch on those suggestions. I have the Dope from Hope pdf collection on my laptop, will try to read the others and write my audiopile entrance exam ;)