Tube amp advice

lshannon

Currently I am running a modified Dynakit PAS-2 preamp and pair Antique Sound Lab AV-8s with a pair of Cornwalls. I read an article on AMC CVT 2030s, a hybrid class A no-frills tube amp, designed by the designer of NAD's 3020 integrated amp. The review sounded nice, but continued searching failed to find a broader set of reviews or comments on it.

I'm stumped, it sounds good and affordable - so why no cult following? Should I up-grade from my ASL AV-8s? Is it an upgrade? I don't even know what "class" my ASL AV-8s are, but I'm pretty sure they are not Class A. Has anyone heard of the AMC CVT- 2030S and at $589.00 is it a good deal?

My PAS2 and ASL-AV8s were my first foray into tubes. I like the sound and thought I would "upgrade", but am unsure of which amp would be an upgrade, so I thought if it says "Class A" I would likely be moving in the right direction.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Lee

Never heard of them so good luck. There are probably more recognizable amps out there we could recommend though. You might want to start with a pre amp change first. Those Dynaco preamps are starter pre's, I have a Pas3 and it was reccommended that I not put any money onto it.

Thanks, I had an original PAS-2 that worked well for awhile and then developed a hum.
I still have it on a shelf where all of my old stereo gear goes to wait.

I saw a Van Alstine modded PAS-2 on ebay and snapped it up.
I really wanted to keep the vintage look in my office.
I have a dyna fm tuner and the pas-2 slid in a Dynaco factory wood case.
The original PAS parts have been replaced and the controls bypassed.

For now I am happy with it. The Antique Sound Lab AV8s (8 watt) monoblocks are nice too, but
they were such an improvement over the Carver amplifier I was using before (when I was young and thought more watts meant better sound), that I started to wonder if I could get an even more dramatic improvement with better tube equipment. I read that they were really intro tube gear and better sound could be had.

I thought of buying an old HK Citation II and sending it out for refurbishing but then thought
that I might get mroe bang for my buck by buying new.

Here is Van Alstine mod info below:

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/super_pas_3_rebuild.htm

Quote: "The basic rebuild kit consists of our new RIAA phono preamplifier circuit board, our new straight-line output preamplifier circuit board, our new six section power supply board, all of the parts for the boards, and stepped precision volume and balance controlsover 100 new parts including all precision film audio circuit resistors and capacitors. We provide all of the needed hardware, wire, and solder. When you are finished you will have a Super Pas Three preampone of the finest low-cost vacuum tube preamps ever built.

All the original Dyna circuit boards are discarded, along with the original heater supply and quad filter capacitor. Our step-by-step illustrated color instruction manual makes it easy for you to install the parts on the circuit boards and interface them with your jacks and switches. We show you how to modernize the functions of your original selector switch and jack set to reduce cross-talk and change the obsolete tape head and special inputs into additional line level inputs. As excellent value, extra-cost options, this is a good time to install our new high-reliability fiberglass selector switch and our gold-plated jack ground-plane input and output connection set." End Quote

The AMC components are run-of-the-mill and nothing spectacular. I owned both the AMC CVT1030s tube preamp and the CD8b disc player...they did the job, but soundwise they were really no better than the Carver C-4000 pre and SD/A-450 CD player I replaced them with IMO! Plus the CD8b crapped out on me just before I got rid of it, so reliability is also an issue.

Your modded PAS-2 is a fine preamp, so I have read, and your li'l ASL monoblocks, although basic, are decent amps. If you like ASL, get one of their better amps to use with your Van Alstine. Or if you're into vintage tube gear, get a Scott, Pilot, EICO, or Marantz and have Craig (NOSValves) upgrade it.

Just my two cents...

Not yet although he is minutes from my house. I have read many reviews and all speak very highly of the TAD product. I even contemplated selling my Mac's to pay some bills down AND buy his pre and power to still have tubes for 2 channel (most of my listening time is spent in 2 channel). NOSValve may have some comments - I believe he is an old friend of Pauls. Of course, Craig's VRD's are awesome too!

I have heard that the Van Alstine was an improvement. I found I like my CW's better when I used higher PP type amps. I would recommend that if you did upgrade the amps you increase the wattage for the CW's. The Mc240 was is moderately a priced solid tube amp at 45wpc. I prefer it over the Dynaco Mark IV's.

The Merlin for $695 is a great priced tube pre amp. I like mine alot, and the build looks great.