I Need Power!

JDeSimone

Well I have a thirst for more power in my HT. Right now I am running an outlaw 1050 6.1 receiver that I am happy with for processing it has 65wpc at 8ohms but think I need more power to open up the soundstage of my CF-4's and CF-1's. Budget 1k cheaper is better and will most likely never go beyond 5.1 Any help sugesstions would be appreciated.

In your profile, please specify your system: # of channels now and planned, amps, subs, room size, acoustic treatments, EQ, music source (iPod, PC, DVD, etc.), your age, music and movie preferences, percent of movie versus music listening...

Colin,

Profile updated a bit. More info to come after I get a chance to measure room. Heck as close as you are grab a tape measure and get over here! [:D] Music tastes are varied same with movies. I do lean towards stuff in DTS for the hotter sound I guess I would call it. The $1000 budget includes used prices. I think the biggest thing holding me back is if I am gonna spend that kinda money I want to know without a doubt that the improvement will be worth it.

Acoustics. If you have a willing significant other...your first step will be acoustics. With a reflective floor and close wall placement, some judicously placed acoustic treatments will pay WAY more dividends than any $1000 amp. They don't have to be ugly, but some room treatment will make all the difference in the world.

Acoustics. If you have a willing significant other...your first step will be acoustics. With a reflective floor and close wall placement, some judicously placed acoustic treatments will pay WAY more dividends than any $1000 amp. They don't have to be ugly, but some room treatment will make all the difference in the world.

[8-)] Hmmm A-Cooo-Stix is that something I would use to smack a pigeon ? Really I know the layout isn't the best. I will post more detailed pictures soon. But I am clueless as to what I would be getting to adjust the acoutics. As far as wife acceptability well that depends.

The room demensions are 17.5 x 13.75. Display is along the 13.75 wall am was thinking of switching it but not sure that is even possible.

As for toeing in the speakers just how far? do I literally want them aiming at the sweet spot? Hmmm my old 901's didn't need that! (Cough) j/k).[:D]

As for toeing in the speakers just how far? do I literally want them aiming at the sweet spot? Hmmm my old 901's didn't need that! (Cough) j/k).[:D]

lol and yes...in your situation I would even suggest toeing them in "too far" so as to reduce reflections off the wall that your speakers are stuck next to. Also, pull the front of the speakers so the motorboard (not the grill) is at least flush with the side of your entertainment center...play around a bit and see what sounds best.

You probably aren't even coming close to pushing the limits on your outlaw and most of what you're describing sounds more like the room overloading, which will reduce when you get those speakers moved out and toed in a bit.

You might even try temporary placement with the entire speaker out of that cubby and off the side walls a bit, just to get an idea of how huge of a difference it can make.