wow... let me say it again.... WOW!!!!!

tkot

first off "thanks "are in order!!!

picky,

thanks for your rant about the hd thing

on the third page, second post down, you have a link to the Neu Neo 2085 upconverting dvd player.

(720p/1080i/1080p, output over the COMPONENT outs)

for thoes of us,and there are many, who went for the first generation of hd displays(the ones without any other input other than COMPONENT) we still have a choice!!

after checking out the link, and reading the one review that they have, i ordered one.

it came today(it was IN STOCK!!)

after playing around with it some i put in I ROBOT for

a short preview.

i ended up watching the whole thing !

the menu is a litttle wierd

the remote is a little wierd

the picture is AMAZING!!( over the COMPONENT OUTS)

for anyone who doesn't have DVI/HDMI ect.

BUY THIS DVD PLAYER NOW!!!!!!

before, THEY, put it out of production!!

some cool features

(1) direct play (skips all the fbi/preview stuff)

(2) A/B comparison between dolby/ dts (at the push of a button on the remote)

(dts kills the dolby d)

more to come,

the best $245(with shipping) i've spent in a long time

jay

Congrats on the player, I have heard some decent reviews regarding this machine. But please keep in mind that this player will only upconvert and will not play the new HD DVD's or BlueRay HD disc's. If someone told you its a HD DVD player you have been had. The manufacturers over the last year or so have decieved the consumer into thinking they will achieve an HD picture with there products, not true at all. I have an outboard processor that upconverts all of my sources to 1080i but it can't make non HD material HD. Granted it does improve the PQ on some material and not much on others.

scooter

scooter,

i know it wont do blue ray, and i know its not true hd.

and i quit listening to salesmen along time ago ;)

but, i sampled 6 different discs and the picture looked

way closer to hd than my other player. i agree that the improvement will also differ depending on the naitive resolution of the display and the quality of the built in scaler of the display. in my case(sony vpl-vw12ht w/1366x768)

it made a marked improvement.

as far as an external scaler i didnt want to incure the extra cost

also about blue ray

as far is i know none of the blue ray players that are coming out will output hd over component and im not ready to upgrade my projector at this time.

so, if anyone else finds themselves in my boat, (no DVI/DMI ect) it's worth a look.

jay

steelerfan,

it has a switchable output dac dts/dolby at 96k or 48k

it also has 5.1 outs with channel set up

(volume/delay ect) and a master volume to control the 5.1

outs.

you can switch on the fly between dolby and dts on discs that are encoded with both soundtracks, as stated before dts rules

i havent used it for music yet and dont know if i will

(i use the dacs built into my pre/pro anyway so it would be used as a reader only)

as far as movie soundtracks go i havent heard any glitches

or unruly stuff out of it and it has a low noise floor

jay

p.s. steelers are going to win!!!

chris,

it will do 1080i/1080p

if you have a display that will do true hd resolitions it will make a big differance!

if your upconverting to a display that is rated ed(extended definition) , the inprovment may not be as noticeable

jay

I got the DVD player yesterday and installed it after getting home from work last night. We watched a few movies and I tried to figure out the remote. The manual was pretty frustrating and hard to follow, so as an attempt right out of the box, I explored the remote and the menus.

I found the remote button called "HD" and found that by pushing it repeatedly, I could cycle through the resolutions available. I had a picture everytime I pushed the button so I guess my display (HD Panny 50" plasma) supports all the resolutions.

I found, surprisingly, that I liked the HD interlaced better than the HD progressive scan. The progressive scan gave me "waves" in the black areas of the picture. It drove me nuts in seconds. The interlaced picture was sharp on the edges and the blacks were black and stable. I'm assuming that this was the 1080i setting. All the screen said was " !! HD Interlaced".

Overall, it is a very nice box for the money. I didn't, however, see that the picture was incredibly better than the Philips DVD963SA that I was using before. I'll give it some more hours of testing and make sure I have the menus set up properly.

This was just a "plug it in and go" test and initial impressions.

Chris