Stoopid cable box connection question :-/

Tom Adams

Just had COMCAST install a HD box in my HT room. I wasn't all that convinced the tech would know how to connect the box into my system judging by the dumfounded look he had when he saw my system. So, I told him to just get the box hot and I would take it from there. As it turns out.....I'm just as dumb as he is. LOL...... [:$]

Can anyone offer some advice as to how to connect the box into my system? I'm using a B&K Ref.50 S2 pre/pro and I'm assuming I would connect the HD box to it. Yes? No?

Thanks guys.

Tom

hook the component outputs fron the cable box to one of the component ins on the pre/pro try the sat/cable input

then hook the optical audio out, of the cable box, to the optical audio in to the sat/cable input side of the pre/pro

select the sat/cable input and you should be good to go

hope this helps

edit

i went and looked at the back of your unit and the component ins are at the upper right corner. the two on the left look to have the optical ins directly below the video inputs

jay

Jays instructions are correct , allthough I prefer to use the DVI cable and run it directly to my TV , and the fiber optic to my processor . I mainly do this because I hate the touch screen remote of my Sony processor and I prefer to use it as little as possible . BTW , I thought you had decided to go the satelite route .

First of all - a sincere thanks.

Second....just so I understand.....based on the included image, I will connect the HD box's component outs to the B&K's "Component Video IN 2" inputs (since my DVD is connected to the "IN 1"). And I will connect the HD box's optical out to the B&K's "Sat" or "V2" Optical in?

Again....thanks. I will repay you should you ever need to rebuild a constant velocity carb (about the only thing I'm good at). [:)]

Tom

post-4338-13819281120782_thumb.jpg

First of all - a sincere thanks.

Second....just so I understand.....based on the included image, I will connect the HD box's component outs to the B&K's "Component Video IN 2" inputs (since my DVD is connected to the "IN 1"). And I will connect the HD box's optical out to the B&K's "Sat" or "V2" Optical in?

Again....thanks. I will repay you should you ever need to rebuild a constant velocity carb (about the only thing I'm good at). [:)]

Tom

Sounds right, and you are video switching I assume? So you have a set of component cables going from the component out on the B&K to your TV correct? If so, you're set, just go into the B&K menu and assign the inputs for video and audio accordingly.

Jays instructions are correct , allthough I prefer to use the DVI cable and run it directly to my TV , and the fiber optic to my processor . I mainly do this because I hate the touch screen remote of my Sony processor and I prefer to use it as little as possible . BTW , I thought you had decided to go the satelite route .

Hey Willy - Yeah, I was ready to pull the trigger on the satellite thing but even with the freebies, I was still looking at $200 out-of-pocket and a 2 year agreement. The COMCAST route with 2 HD boxes costs me $30 more a month (within $5 of what the satellite monthly bill would have cost) and no contract. So, if I'm not happy in a month - I call and cancel.

As for using DVI.....since I'm running a projector, I have to use the B&K for switching. I could run a DVI cable to the PJ, but a 25' DVI cable would be ex-pensive and I'm not sure I'd gain much if anything over component cables.

I've got a short DVI cable and I might try running one from the HD box in my den to my Samsung DLP TV.

Tom