The Oscars: Who SHOULD win and who WILL win . . .

Allan Songer

Now that the nominations are out, lets see your picks for who SHOULD win and who you think WILL win the five major awards:

Best Supporting Actress

Who SHOULD win: Amy Adams, Junebug

Who WILL win: Michelle WIlliams, Brokeback Mountain

Best Supporting Actor:

Who SHOULD win: William Hurt, A History of Violence

Who WILL win: George Clooney, Syriana

Best Actress:

Who SHOULD win: Keira Knightly, Pride and Prejudice

Who WILL win: Reese Witherspoon, I Walk the Liine

Best Actor:

Who SHOULD win: Terrance Howard, Hustle and Flow

Who WILL win: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote

Best Picture:

Who SHOULD win: Good Night and Good Luck

Who WILL win: Brokeback Mountain

Best Actress:

Who WILL win: Reese Witherspoon, I Walk the Line

Best Actor:

Who SHOULD win: Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
Who WILL win: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hoffman has a an excellent scene towards the end of Capote, but the movie makes us wait for it the entire time. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Phoenix gives an excellent performance throughout Walk the Line just compare that character to the Emperor in Gladiator.

Best Picture:

Who SHOULD win: Crash
Who WILL win: BrokebackMountain [H]

• Moderators

I love these games!

I have no idea who SHOULD win, because I saw NONE of these movies, but here's who I think WILL win:

Brokeback Mountain

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Felicity Huffman

Paul Giamatti

Rachel Weisz

There are a few films I haven't seen yet, but I'll give it a go.

Ok, Best Supporting Actress-- Haven't seen Junebug. My Pick would be Frances McDormand for North Country. That's my pick for should and will. Not my favorite movie (especially for all the potential it had) but a good acting job by McDormand, plus the academy likes her.

Supporting Actor:.

Haven't seen History of Violence -- Of the rest, nothing exceptional. Don't really have a pick, but just a comment. If George Clooney was a supporting actor in Syriana, who was the Lead??

Who will win- Probably Clooney. Not a very great movie, by the way.

Best Actress:

I agree with Allen 100% Should: Keira Knightley

Will : Reese Witherspoon.

Best Actor:

I'm inclined to agree with Allen again, although if Philip Seymour Hoffman wins, it's well deserved. Terrance Howard definitely deserves it for Hustle and Flow, though. On the other hand, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if Heath Ledger for Brokeback, and I haven't yet seen Walk the Line. I would not want to lay odds on this one. PSH has won Golden Globe and SAG awards already, though, so there's a good chance. Plus some of the old timers in the academy probably knew Truman Capote, so that helps him as well.

Best Picture

Should and Will--Brokeback Mountain. Good Night and good luck was just so-so, in my opinion, and so was Crash. I've not yet seen Munich.

Should be fun.

Amy Adams was astonishing in Junebug -- just saw it. Couldn't believe she was the same girl as Leo's wife in "Catch Me if You Can" -- she should win-- So should Terrence Howard.

It seems the liberal agenda or the big money movies is favored to win most of the awards --

Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of the greatest actors of today -- he should and will win--

I agree that Keira Knightley should win over Reese; I saw both films, and Keira's performance was transcendent.

If you saw her Elizabeth Bennett, you should know what I mean...

Gotta disagree on Good Night and Good Luck... it never became the film I expected it to be.

On the other hand, since Pride and Prejudice was not nominated for Best Picture, I don't really care one way or another; I just hope Brokeback Mountain doesn't win... not because I have anything against the film (haven't seen it), but because I'm sick and tired of hearing conservative prudes whine.