rf-3II to heresy

vindeville

hello, just registered here today...been lurking here for probably 2 years though and have gotten alot of helpful and interesting info from many of you, its a great forum. i had to part ways wth my 2 channel system this past summer, i still have my nad c-370 amp and nad cd player,but had to part ways with my lascalas. i had alot of work into the lascalas, new oak veneer, new squawker and tweeter diaphrams, resoldered and rewired with bypass cap mod, autoformer tap switch with resistor on midrange, attentuation circuit for tweeter once bypass cap was done, rope caulk...i was very happy with them. met a wonderful woman...moved into her smaller house..sadly had to list my lascallas on e-bay. i have been listening to music thru my rf-3-denon home theater system since. i just purchased a pair of heresy II,s on e-bay but haven't gotten them yet. the rf-3's are nice but sure don't have the heritage sound i love.could some of you give me your impressions of the rf-3,s compared to the heresy's, i also wan't to use my nad amp and share speakers with my denon. whats a good switching device to use?thanks

Good Evening and Welcome,

I had been using my trusty Heresy's with my new tube amp and thought they sounded great but still lacked in the bass department. I had recently bought a second system for my wife which consisted of a brand new pair of RF-35's ( newer version of the RF-3's). One day I figured I would switch out the speakers and try the RF-35's on the tube amp. All I can say is WOW, the bass is extremely tight and they sounded amazing with the tubes. Now I must say that I am and have always been a big fan of the Heresy's but I had to be honest with myself and go with the better speaker for MY ears and I stuck with the RF-35's.

Just my two cents

Dealno

i do agree thet the rf-3 has good bass...but there is a quality in the middle frequencies that my lascalas had, a largeness or realness??? that i have never heard from the rf's and i am hopeing to regain with the heresy's, as they are heritage line loudspeaker..i have a wonderful svs subwoofer, so if i can get a good blend bass shouldn't be an issue. i have read thet the heresy's have a very tight accurate bass,but they simply lack deep bass. how would you describe the quality of the bass from the heresy's...and do you think the rf's have the scale of sound that the heresy's have?i know i'll be learning these things for myself once my heresy's arrive, but i very much appreciate others thoughts on these things...thanks again for your post.[:D]

Hi, I have RF3 2s and heresie 2s, there very different speakers. the 3s have that awsome bottom end and alltogether a great sound, more refined or subdude than the heresies. the heresies on the other hand have more midrange being a 3way speaker. If you like that more pronounced midrange the heresies you will love. Really awsome with a good sub, I had them hooked up to my velodine HGS15BG2 and they were the whole package.

i do agree thet the rf-3 has good bass...but there is a quality in the middle frequencies that my lascalas had, a largeness or realness??? that i have never heard from the rf's and i am hopeing to regain with the heresy's, as they are heritage line loudspeaker..i have a wonderful svs subwoofer, so if i can get a good blend bass shouldn't be an issue. i have read thet the heresy's have a very tight accurate bass,but they simply lack deep bass. how would you describe the quality of the bass from the heresy's...and do you think the rf's have the scale of sound that the heresy's have?i know i'll be learning these things for myself once my heresy's arrive, but i very much appreciate others thoughts on these things...thanks again for your post.[:D]

That "largeness" or "realness" you describe is, in my opinion, due to the horn-loaded midrange. I've yet to hear a cone produce the sort of LIVE, RIGHT THERE sound that a horn can. The Heresy won't sound as big or quite as live as your La Scala (for the record, I own both), but it will certainly sound much more live and e-x-p-a-n-s-i-ve then an RF two-way speaker, again, because of that beautiful midrange horn. If you have a sub to go with the Heresys (which you say you do), then I'd settle for that combination over an RF any day, mainly, again, because of the midrange horn. But music is subjective; some people don't like that live sound and favor the laid-back (or dead?! - lol) sound often produced by cones. The best analogy I can give is that for me, when I listen to horn speaker, it's like I'm hearing the band right in front of me. When I listen to a conventional speaker (cone), I'm listening to a speaker trying to imitate the band.

-H2G

i want to thank everyone for their opinions on this. heresy2guy i think you hit it right on the head. going thru many different brands of direct radiator type loudspeakers in my life, the last of which were paradigm studio monitors, i was never satisfied. my first experience with horns was the rf-3II's, and with them i finally found a loudspeaker that seemed right to me, you must admit they are a huge step into horns. then started to read this forum and others and became facinated with the heritage stuff, found a well used pair of lascallas in a local second hand store, once i got them restored that was it for me. this was like going out and listening to a live band! dynamics, great tonality, power, size and they have an effortless quality that is very realistic. that is why with my new limited space i turned to the heresy's, and it sounds like i will be regaining alot of what i loved in the lascallas. they are suppose to arrive on tuesday and i'm really looking forward to them. for the record one of these days i will have k-horns.....i think a wall might come down around here...gittyyup