Time for a DIY sub project.

billyjoe72

go here first

http://stores.ebay.com/Veneer-1

that veneer is soo much easier to do and better quality then those 4X8 veneer which they do not use Grade a veneers as its cost inefficent. I think this person gets the leftovers of a big veneer job.

Also try stuffing it with pillow stuffing. Seriously goto wallmart and find that dacron floss and put 1 pound per cubic foot.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say ditto on the walmart quilt stuffing...you can get a 5lb box for $15? I forget.

Would you happen to have any clue as to what frequency your boominess

is occuring and whether or not it is a room induced issue? In my

searching for the best subwoofer I think I often forget just how loud

110dB really is...

110 is real freaking loud drwho....

No, 110db is just loud...140dB is real freaking loud...

You really have to start cranking the volume on a flat frequency

response system in order to start truly being able to percieve the

lowest of frequencies:

fm1.gif

(http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm)

In other words, you're not going to start hearing 20Hz until you get up

to around 90dB...and then at those levels 110dB is only giving you 20dB

of headroom - which I'd say is more on the bare minimum side. Though it

will definetly depend on the music being listened to. The stuff I

listen to always has 40dB transients all over the place (especially in

the low-end) which would totally push even a 120dB max system to its

limits.

At a live concert the kick drum is probably peaking around 130dB when

say the lead guitar and lead singer is pushing maybe 100dB. And often

times the kick still sounds dead...

isn't 140 to 110 db 1000 times louder?

Also 110 db can still cause ear damage per nosha (sp)

Also yes I remember that chart and that 1 hertz fan subwoofer. They said you can start hearing 10 hertz waves when there is 120 db or sooo well that is what I think it said, something along those lines....... you just need rediclous spl to hear below 20 hertz or the average human hearing

Well Im glad that your Arsenal is kickin, Im still in the building of the box process....between my dad and I we work pretty much almost everyday. Got everything cut except for the port hole (4") and the actual pvc itself...got a 5 ft section of it just sitting in my kitchen lol.

Spent a little more money than I planned on for Spring break this year, road trip to CO, so Im holding off on the amp til prolly June( have about an extra $500-$600) so Im thinking of going with a little bit better than the Behringer, maybe Crown XLS series or Samson, unless I go for two EP1500s, one for the sub and one for my mains :). So we shall see...post some pics of it dang it....I wanna see that baby all finished. Im goin all black with mine to match all my speakers.

Adam

Yep. My funds are stretched too. The only things I have left to do is veneer and finish, stuff it like a teddy bear, and put my top I built for it on. It's black. I'm tweaking with it now. I wish winisd would give you frequency tests between 10 and 100hz. It only goes 100 and then 10. Nothing in between. 10 just sounds like someone clapping. I will be sure to post some pictures when I'm finished. Good luck on yours. I was watching your conversation too.

toodles

Yep. My funds are stretched too. The only things I have left to do is veneer and finish, stuff it like a teddy bear, and put my top I built for it on. It's black. I'm tweaking with it now. I wish winisd would give you frequency tests between 10 and 100hz. It only goes 100 and then 10. Nothing in between. 10 just sounds like someone clapping. I will be sure to post some pictures when I'm finished. Good luck on yours. I was watching your conversation too.

toodles

It does go incremental between 10 and 100...it's just finicky. Try typing in 200 and then delete a 0 with the backspace. This will get you to 20 Hz. And then you'll need to highlight the 2 and type in a new number (don't delete it).

Or you can do a websearch for the NCH Tone Generator...it's a "free" demo that runs out after a while...so all you do is uninstall and reinstall again (so keep the installer around) [;)]

I was in a metal mood after work and put on some of the following...

Fear Factory- shock....very nice

Fear Factory- gary numan cars cover..awesome cover tune

Slayer- expendable youth...gotta love it

Soulfly- bleed...angry song

Sepultura- dead embryonic cells...big and loud. I pushed it hard

Judas Priest- metal gods.. classic. Gives me goose bumps listening to it.

AC/DC- sin city..another classic..I love to play it on drums. Simple but cool.

I might just start a thread to see what metal people listen to.

Last night I put frequency to 20 hz and cranked her good. The whole garage (2 car detached) started to vibrate pretty violently. Saw dust was flying everywhere from above. Things like sleds and such started falling out of the rafters. It was great. Then I put in on fast sweep. That was cool. I couldn't hear the higher frequency of course but the lower hit every second or so and it was like a kick drum pounding doing a sound check at a concert at the Newport Music Hall here in Columbus. Great place to see one. Damn I have to get this thing veneered and in my house.

toodles.

Oh yea. I could stack 10 of my ksw 200's and not have the output. I couldn't even imagine using a 15". Although who knows. Someday I may. It's picky on the music it likes. But then again it's wasn't built for music. I need a name for it now. Something original and angry. Want the honors?

BGS-12?

(Billy's Gorilla Smasher)

Btw, I'd like to hear more about the music it is picky with...maybe it is something that can be fixed.

BGS-12. lol. I like

It's most likely picky because of not being dampened yet. I'll hit walmart today and get some stuff. But for now. It likes the low stuff. 30-50 hz or so. Depends on the recording also I guess. I know it's not built for 100 hz and above, but that seems to " ring " if that makes sense. I listen to mostly rock/metal. Not the really nasty stuff. Although I do have some cannibal corpse and stuff of that nature I don't listen to that often. Rarely if at all. It likes dave matthews drums, collective soul, rob zombie, rush, I need to play metallica justice for all. The kick drums on that are recorded really low.