Wiring (pigtails) question

Coytee

I've got 4 amps I'm currently messing around with. I have 2 at a time hooked up to a Niles a/b box. The wires attach to the amps in different ways, bare wires, banna plugs, spade lugs.

It's a hassel switching, or cutting off ends to swap them out, soooooooooooooo I thought about those little spade connectors. I could not find insulated ones so I might try them anyway but cut one lead short to help prevent them from being able to short out.

Then my lightbult went off (or so I think)

What if you got a heavy duty plug (wall socket). The kind with one or more of it's tabs turned sideways, this way, it's IMPOSSIBLE to plug it into a standard wall, which is all I have.

I could take two male plugs & hook them to speaker wires. Take a lead to each amp and on the speaker end of that wire, attach a male 'outlet' (yes like a 20 amp outlet made for an extension cord). Now when I want to swap amps, instead of having to rewire any backside of amps, I can simply unplug the amp and plug it into a different plug.

Presuming this makes sense, any thoughts as to why this is yet another one of my horrid ideas??

My basic goal is to have an easy/quick way to swap amps out of the system without haveing to get a screwdriver out. This idea came to me while at Home Depot. I'm sure a place like Radio Shack probably has a MUCH better solution.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

IT should work can't see why it wouldn't.

I had a set of speakers outside and a set in the workshop but only had the B side on a receiver to work with . I put a double outlet box and two switches, when i wanted to play the workshop speakers i just turned off the outside speakers with the switches. I wasn't sure if it would work i thought there might be to much resistance from the switches , they were plain light switches but no problems. Sounds like a good idea easy to plug and unplug.