k55m

jannegard1

While the K55M was made by EV it was a copy of a Klipsch design originally made by Atlas.No driver in the past or present EV lineup is similar.The Atlas PD5 looks similar in the ceramic magnet version, but the alnico version had closer performance.Neither had the two port phase plug.In the early 80s Atlas had a bunch of drivers that Klipsch refused delivery on.Atlas called them the PDMR.They looked like a cross between the K51V and the K55M.They are long gone.

K-55-M was made by ElectroVoice. I really doubt it t was a copy of the K-55-V which was the Atlas PD5V. For one thing, it doesn't take the same diaphragm. For another, Altas would never have allowed ElectroVoice to copy their design.

I believe other threads in the past have indicated tyhe K-55-M might be a version of the 1823 or 1824.

Malcolm, your reading acuity is very poor.You obviously have no firsthand experience with the afore mentioned drivers.I do.With all of them.Any persons making an assertion that the K55M is some varient of the EV 1823 or 1824 are also in error.FYI you can put the EV made K55M diaphragm in an Atlas made K55V and while it will rub it will make sound.You cannot put either of these diaphragms in any EV driver ever made.If you had ever seen these drivers apart this would be self evident.

Malcolm---Just how would Atlas stop EV from copying a design? It's not like the Atlas was some groundbreaker with patented features, it was pretty crude actually. The TAD 2001 is basically a copy of the JBL LE-175 which was a copy of the Altec-Lansing 802 which was a copy of the Lansing 801 and so it goes all the way back to WE.

djk,

You are obviously a first rate twit. Anybody who would make such comments about a person they do not know must be. Why don't you take your flames somewhere else.

FYI I have had both K-55-V and K-55-M drivers apart. And just because you can put the K-55-M diaphragm in a K-55-V doesn't mean it fits.

BTW you contradict yourself. First you say that EV made the K-55-M. Then you say you cannot put the K-55-diapraghm in any driver EV ever made.

TBrennan,

Just speculation... How about threats of lawsuits. Its done all the time in many industries. You don't actually have to be right to discourage a competitor, just enough trouble.

BTW by copy, I am talking about an exact knockoff, not something that comes close.

Bigger question is why EV would want to copy an Atlas product when they already had designs and tooling for competitive products.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the information for the k55

i send a mail to e.v the number is 1831

this driver is very old and are no longer in production

they dont have any diagram for it because they are

very old i open the k55m and there is production

date and year 1996 i dont think this is so old

what are you think