Rega Apollo CD player coming to my system soon.....

jazman

Somebody has to do it. It may as well be me.

My Rega Planet is still in service, and it's still a better solution to the "grating digititus" of most CD players. I think my vinyl rig is capable of making the jaw drop on most digital diehards. So, NO, I'm not in any way forsaking vinyl. I'm still an analog junkie who will generally reach for a vinyl LP first. The problem is, there are so many Jazz Lp's I can't get my hands on in vinyl release, so CD release is the alternative. Therefore it's time to attempt narrowing the performance gap of LP playback and CD playback. The initial response by the audio community to this unit has led to few of these units being available on dealer shelves here in the US. Many telephone calls, including one to the US distributor to locate retailers has finally located one.

Stay tuned.

Klipsch out.

• 2 weeks later...

let us know how it sounds. enjoy! tony

Tony,

I've had the Apollo in my system for about a week so far. I have had the original Rega Planet, not the second edition, for many years now. I've only heard the second edition Planet once, and did not feel moved enough to upgrade at that point.

The Apollo is another animal altogether. Jpm in another Apollo post was wondering if it is worth the extra dollars it cost. To me, it IS worth the dollars. Usually, a CD player that sounds this good cost 2 to 3 times as much. Being a vinyl enthusiast primarily, I had never been willing to spend the 2 to 3 times more than the cost of the Apollo to get exceptional digital playbak. Rega has done a very good job with the Apollo. Still wonderfully analog with it's smoothness, yet not lacking in it's high frequency or low frequency extension. No "ear"-itating digititus comes with that extension. Most of all, there is dimension in it's presentation, or maybe better expressed as layering that is more prevelant in vinyl playback. There's a lot to like with the Apollo, including the freedom to use your favorite IEC power cord. I will have the opportunity to add another 5 to 10 hours of playback on the Apollo within the next 3 to four days. I have no reason to believe it will not continue to impress even more. For some, I'm sure one negative will be the delay of approximately 10 seconds from the time you close the CD door, and the software reads the disk, to the time it's ready to accept the play command. For me it is a minor adjustment in playback routine, but the dividend is paid when playback begins.

A keeper for sure!

Klipsch out.