Using PC as a pre-amp? Possible?

RTTR

I have an audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (internal with the front 5.25 bay controls) as I recall it only has the mini jack outputs on the back, and a mini jack digital out.

I suppose using a stereo RCA to mini jack Y-adapter in reverse (if it's not long enough then using male-to-male RCA adapters to plug a longer stereo RCA cable to it) you could probably run this output to your amp's stereo RCA inputs. Then your PC's volume controls would manage the system. However I fear something rigged like this might be a noisy connection with a lot of hum in your system. I've connected my PC to my TV doing this and there is always alot of hum in the audio.

However I've only plugged such a thing into something that had a pre-stage before it reached an amp. I'd be leery of plugging something like that directly into a good stereo amp...but that's just me :)

If you have a random old reciever or something you could probably rig it as a temporary pre-amp by using it's tape outputs if they are variable?

I have an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard and use a mini-to-RCA cable to connect my PC to my Peach preamp. I use my PC as another source and it works great....no....really great actually.

I have no idea what would happen if instead, I plugged the PC directly into the amps. I never tried it. I doubt you would hurt anything trying. It might wind up being noisy as has been suggested. Don't know.

Lot's of people get down on Creative Audigy sound cards. Other than some cumbersome software that you can get used to, mine always worked great.

You should be able to get the impedance and voltage output of the soundcard on the creative website. Then, you could make an educated guess.