Cream Royal Albert Hall

SteelerFan

I nominated this on Thebes's weekly recommendations a couple of weeks ago. I saw it over the holidays, and I found myself unexpectedly quite impressed. While familiar with all their hits and a few other numbers, I have never been a huge fan, until seeing this DVD with some friends who are much bigger Cream fans than I was. It showed me how talented they all are, and impressed me with how this power trio can make such a full sound without resorting to continuously crashing cymbals, pounding bass chords, and other "wall-of-sound" filler. Part of my reaction is therefore based on seeing them play, as well as hearing them on a DVD on a good system, for the first time ever.

Is your reaction more towards the performance or the sound quality?

I had to watch it twice before I felt I got my money's worth.First time

through I expected too much,and not a Stratocaster either,lol.Put it on

and kinda watch/listen as you do other stuff,thats what I did and it

was pretty good.

Clapton, Bruce, and Baker still kick ***. In case you forgot, or you were not born yet, CREAM is (was) a blues band, a power trio that played blues. I thought it was good, they can still play, just looked a little old and worn. What did you want from them? It,s been 30 years since they did a concert together. Sometimes after you watch something a couple of times it will come to you how good it really is. Watch it again, just remember it,s not a Metal band, just blues to the max. CLAPTON is God, and HENDRIX the Devil all the rest don,t matter.

if you want to see Clapton at his very best, check out One More Car, One More Rider. In that DVD Clapton surrounds himself with others that are at the absolute peak of their craft. It is fabulous. They are fully rehearsed and completely in sync with each other. In other words, total pros, in total preparedness and "in the zone".

The Cream at Royal Albert Hall is much different. It is still about professionals, but neither Bruce or Baker is at the top of their game. In fact, they are maybe trying to make a few bucks so they can pay next months rent bill. Don't get me wrong, these guys do a great job, with fabulous material that they put together many years ago without the help of a team of music score composers and producers. These guys are playing from their heart on less rehearsal, and although Clapton just keeps getting better, the other two guys are aging and had pretty rough lives.

Still, the music holds up well and they do "get it on". Not quite as tight as you might be use to which may be the issue your feeling in on. Also, maybe you didn't grow up with these guys and and don't have some of the "old school" affection that us really old dudes do.

There are some other things I didn't care for with this DVD though, that I will say annoyed me. The jumping back and forth between nights seems to break any performance continuity but I attributed it to perhaps the performances themselves weren't that strong and they did what they could with what they had.

I'll admit, I wasn't a big Clapton fan in 68, or 71, or anytime until I started listening to him again in the mid nineties. different people blossom and come into their own at different times in their lives. I think EC got clean and sober and right with the world and he is just now really emerging and using the skills God gave him. The other guys.. well, probably tons of talent and creativity at one time or another in their youth, but not peaking like EC.

Just my meager opinion, and prolly worth what it cost you.

Still, I'll buy all the EC one can put into DTS format and love it all. Want some great EC and blues, EC's Crossroads Guitar Festival, and also One More Car, One More Rider. Those will make a believer out of you. His Sessions for Robert J tribute DVD is good too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have alot of older discs, laser and dvd. Some must realize the sound just isn't there. Thats when you have to appreciate the visual. What was great cruising in the car listened to on 8 tracks still wont sound much better or have a presence like recent recordings. I find that with some Stevie ray Vaughan which I love from mid 80's. You could turn the volume to zero with him and still have the hair on your neck stand haha

Come on now.

The Royal Albert Hall London, May 2-3-5-6 2005 Cream concert will go down in history as one of the greatest rock events of all time.

I have been a long time Cream fan and this DVD is in my book their best work ever.

The quality to great and the performace is beyond belief.

When Ginger Baker played Toad... Well it just can't get in better.

When I heard Toad for the first time on "Wheels of Fire" I knew how great this performance was. All the Cream works were live including the "Wheels of Fire" version of Toad.

Now I will admit that Toad played on the Ginger Baker's Air Force CD is just awesome. But in this case still not as good as the 2005 concert. I would have liked to see it. The Ginger Baker's Air Force version of Toad was also live but had six drummers all playing at the same time!

I consider the Royal Albert Hall London, May 2-3-5-6 2005 Cream to be the best DVD I own right now.

For those who did not care for it... each to his own I guess.

Greg

Come on now.

The Royal Albert Hall London, May 2-3-5-6 2005 Cream concert will go down in history as one of the greatest rock events of all time.

I have been a long time Cream fan and this DVD is in my book their best work ever.

The quality to great and the performace is beyond belief.

When Ginger Baker played Toad... Well it just can't get in better.

When I heard Toad for the first time on "Wheels of Fire" I knew how great this performance was. All the Cream works were live including the "Wheels of Fire" version of Toad.

Now I will admit that Toad played on the Ginger Baker's Air Force CD is just awesome. But in this case still not as good as the 2005 concert. I would have liked to see it. The Ginger Baker's Air Force version of Toad was also live but had six drummers all playing at the same time!

I consider the Royal Albert Hall London, May 2-3-5-6 2005 Cream to be the best DVD I own right now.

For those who did not care for it... each to his own I guess.

Greg

Hey greg, glad you liked it. I had my doubts about what I would see on the disc, but these old dogs still bite. Ginger Baker, he doesn't even look like he's hardly moving, but he is right on. Still can make the snare drums snap, and the bass drum pound. One of the great drummers in rock. Jack Bruce, still a top notch bassist, with a good voice. Bruce and Baker set the pace, and EC brings it on home. There is nothing that I can say about Clapton that hasn't been said twice already, on guitar, Mr. Eric Clapton. Cream, the ultimate power trio bathed in the blues. No pretenders here. Of all the so-called reunions this was worth the 30 year wait. The lads did look a little aged, but aren't we all? That's what happens, puppies become old dogs.

I read the thread to see if I should buy the DVD - I can't speak to the Royal Albert Hall performances, but I can say that the show in Madison Square Garden was great.

as someone else mentioned, they rock for three old guys...

no keyboards, backing vocals, or extraneous BS, just the original team bringing their best.

I read the thread to see if I should buy the DVD - I can't speak to the Royal Albert Hall performances, but I can say that the show in Madison Square Garden was great.

as someone else mentioned, they rock for three old guys...

no keyboards, backing vocals, or extraneous BS, just the original team bringing their best.

Hard to believe it has been over 30 years since Cream played together on stage. Not many bands can do it as well as they did. The whole music industry has changed alot over 30 years, but Cream has remained true to their roots,Blues, nothing but the Blues.Three totally different guys, different styles, different backgrounds, all locked-in together playing their style of Blue's.Worth the price of the DVD anyday. Just another chapter in Eric Clapton's long, and great career, not bad for an old Yardbird!!