Do you guys leave your Blueberry's on 24/7?

robster

Howdee,proud owner of a Juicy Music Blueberry ,the original model,no creme,for about year now. I really really love mine!! ZERO PROBLEMS,sounds great!!

I leave my Blueberry on 24/7 unless I don't plan to listen to tunes for more than 2 days and then I turn the unit off and unless we are away from the house for more than 2 days,I turn it off. What do you guys do? Do you leave your Blueberry on 24/7?

P.S. I started with non-NOS tubes and now I have NOS tubes that I overpayed for a few and looking back I wish I'd stuck w/ non-nos tubes. The difference for my ears was only subtle from non-nos Ei,to NOS. But it's a fun hobby.

Using 10M 12ax7 Mullard that a great forum member sold to me,12at7's are Mullards NOS from Doug's Tubes,6dJ8 is a pinch waist Amperex that I bought off Ebay.

Best wishes,

Robert

Before I went to the BBx I would leave my BB on 24/7 on weekends only. Ready at a moment's notice to play. During the week, I'd turn it on when I listened to the Khorns.

Tubes do have a finite life. Some say that turning them off and on is toughest on them, others say that time and internal deposits from element to element degrade them with time. Probably, both camps are right to a degree. I feel that the BB's regulated filament voltage and large capacitors take much of the off/on danger out of play. That said, a well warmed up tube sounds better. Yin and Yang.

With the BBx' standby switch, I generally leave the filaments on. I estimate it at about a 25 watt light bulb.

I also leave my 300B or Wrights on over the weekend. DHTs are more likely damaged by "cathode stripping" than indirectly heated pre-amp tubes. I hear it every time I turn on the 300B with it's 515VDC plate voltage and no current through the cathode resistor offset it and set bias. [:(]

Rick

Thanks guys,I don't do much listening durring the week sometimes none at all. I mainly listent to tunes on the weekend. So would it behoove me to leave my Blueberry off durring the week and leave it on durring the weekend. I have a original Blueberry MKI without standby feature.

Cheers,

Robert

Hi Larry,

well.. to be honest at first I thought the Amperex pinch waist sounded better,but only slightly better to my ears.

I got the pinch waist for $90 off Ebay,but looking back I should have stayed with the cca. My ears really can't tell the difference,the differences are too subtle for me.. But that was about 4 months ago maybe later and the 10M Mullard I bought from you,thanks again btw,and the pinch waist are not noisy at all. I think I sold the cca to a forum member for what I paid for it from you,I couldn't afford to keep the cca and the pinch waist,but I'll never sell the 10M.

It was fun buying tubes. But unless my old tubes fart and die I ain't buying any tubes for a long time. Now I'm hooked on portable audio. I bought a iPod Photo 60GB and sent it off today to www.redwineaudio.com for a imod. I have a Ray Samuels hornet portable amp for the ipod plus I use the amp for a headphone amp hooked to my Blueberry.

My wife is working on her masters so in our small house I have to use the headphones whiles she's buried into her studies.

I hope u'r not snowed in up there,Stay warm!

Cheers,

Robert

• 1 month later...

BTW - Now that I've found quiet tubes, I no longer leave my BBX on 24/7. Since I use it just about every day, I leave it in standby mode. When Mark calculated that 24/7 would give you less than 2 years on some of these expensive tubes, I decided there was no way I'd leave it on. Finding a quiet 6DJ8 is the key.