Cornwall Port mod

Klipschguy

I didn't mean spartan in terms of ANY furnishings, just that big heavy upholstered pieces do help act to soak up some low and mid tones. I thought that if all your stuff was thin and spindly, maybe you could use some big heavy pieces. But it sounds like you've got that covered.

No, wiring won't help and the parametric eq might do the trick. I don't know of any that look like home components. What are you using for amp? I ask because my Yamaha RXV2400 receiver does a 7 band parametric auto-eq on all of 7 channels. It's really nice and smooths out some of the room bumps quite well. Even if you're using tube amps or separates, maybe you could use a more modern receiver as a front end just to get this circutry. I think there is a 657 that has the YPAO eq feature.

Michael

The phase cancellation trick with the sub is only going to work well if you have a subwoofer within a quarter wavelength of both speakers...aka, you'd need a second sub. Though you would be doing the same thing as using a parametric EQ - which isn't the best tool for the job (as it only works in the frequency domain, not the time domain).

Because you have a room issue, going to a different pair of speakers isn't going to make a very big difference...

have you tried running your cornwalls as small on the receiver?

Why not tackle the real problem - the room. A bass trap or two would do ya.

As for making mods, DrWho is right, the volume of the cabinet determines its resonance, and you wouldn't be changing that by modifying the port area except you could move up or down a couple of Hz. Probably not enough to effect the room resonance...

DM

I have done a few mods to the CW. Changing the port volume will never be one of them. (please don't quote me, if I ever do[;)])

........."I'd fix the room, not the speaker. Just my .02".......

I agree with Michael & DM.

When asked about L-Pads, PWK replied " Don't adjust my speaker, adjust your room".......

I take that as "don't change the cabinet volume or port area". IMHO, the cabinet is the best part of a Cornwall.

But thats just me.[A]

Hell boys, I have to leave something stock to justify the PIE on the front! [:D][:D]

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pair of Unity Audio dynamic speakers with a similar 40hz anomaly and solved the problem by switching the speakers from the short wall to the longwall (rectangle type room) and eliminated my problem. Rather than banish the Cornwalls to the basement you might want to try this, unless there is a waf situation at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I got the Cornwalls straightened out.

Firstly, using the variable phase control on my sub I was able to tune the boom out of the room. Worked like a charm. Deep and tight, no room boom. Interestly, without the sub I get room boom, engage the sub and the boom is gone. I love it.

Secondly, I replaced the original caps in my B networks. My CWs had been getting increasingly mellow over the past five years or so. The mellowness in the top end had tipped the overall tonal balance towards a bass heavy speaker. As soon as I fired up the speakers after replacing the caps, the tweeters lit up like fireflys. They had their sparkle once again. It is truly amazing how those bad caps were muddying up the sound. It even cleaned up the mids.

I will start a new thread with some pictures of my old networks before and after the new caps. BTW, I used GE oil cans from Bob Crites.

My system now sounds excellent and I am thoroughly satisfied with the sound. Now...back to the music.

Andy