La Scala bass port mod questions

solarcarl

Now that I have decided to build a pair of the the bass port bins to go under my La Scalas, I wish I'd paid more attention when folks discussed the mod. The fact is, I like more bass than the La Scalas give me and that will be the only thing lacking after I swap in Als universal networks, Bobs tweeters and 511B horns. I love the La Scalas but after setting them aside for the mods and listening to my Vandersteens, I find myself missing the LS mids and highs but hearing things in the bottom that were so lacking with the LSs. Something needs to be done for me to sleep a contented man.

So, I have the nice exploded pic of the bass port , have some basic dimensions and understand the concept but what is the tradeoff? Will the bass sound tubby? Will the woofer have to work much harder? I'd love to hear from those that have done it. Is 4"diameter plastic pipe the agreed upon size and what lengths are good? How does changing length affect bass? Thanks in advance, I tried the search thing and now see what the complaints are all about with that. Carl

If you use the 7 inch long ports (as opposed to the initial 10 in), the bass will be a bit tighter, but still go lower that the stock LS. IOW, not get tubby, flabby, etc.

Just make a box that is the same dimensions as the LS width and depth, 10 inches high (outside) and add the ports. Put some insulation inside and try it.

Bruce