Tubes & SS

jcmusic

In my experience, driving a SS power amp with a tube preamp can offer an improvement. This configuration would yield more tube sound than a SS pre and tube power amp.

There are some technical things about matching the output of the preamp to the sensitivity of inputs on the power amp and these things are beyond my level of technical understanding.

There are plenty of folks on this forum who could advise you of those specifics.

There are some synergistic issues, which also sometimes surprise the technical types.... such as the possibility that a particular combination will sound fabulous is surprising and some other combos will sound poor.

Khorns were designed in the era of tube equiptment and they sound best with tubes. I use a tube preamp that passes through my Home Theater preamp and into 2 channels of my amp. This allows me to switch back and forth with ease, have the digital processing necessary for HT surround sound and the mellow tube sound from my khorns for music.

The Outlaw SS preamp is an excellent Home Theater preamp but the highs on music seemed a little too bright.m The use of a Dynaco stereo tube preamp mellowed the sound of CDs and also allows me to play records. I also have external DACs and upsampling devices that help make the CDs sound like LPs. I use ALK crossovers in my Khorns and 511B horns; otherwise they are original equiptment. Sealing the Khorns to the wall, the mods, AND room accoustical treatment have all improved the sound. Each has made a noticable improvement.

Soundog - I'm intrigued & confused by the fact that your able to put a tube preamp in a avr receiver. Are you saying the tube pre bypasses the pre in your receiver? Or overrides it? What is the port called that you plug the pre-amp into?

I don't think I can do this with my HK AVR, but perhaps I could find one that does?

I'm confused cuz I thought you couldn't hook a pre-amp to a receiver that has an integrated pre. (or it wouldn't 'do' anything).

I misspoke previously - I can not change the volume of the Dynaco preamp with the Outlaw remote but I can change the volume of the Outlaw - the pass through is for digital processing but the analog signal goes through the Outlaw's volume control. You press buttons on the remote to switch between various sources.

Several thousand hours that is reduced by frequent "ons and offs", causing some people to leave tube equiptment on for extended periods. Deterioration is often very gradual, causing some to change tubes more frequently then necessary. Then there's the whole issue of "matched" tubes.

I guess I am bass ackwards cause I prefer using my Solid State Luxman preamp(really a int amp) with my Cayin TA 30 tube amp with great results.

I have a Ground Grid tube preamp and tried a Merlin tube preamp and have not been impressed with tube preamps. I think I had read so many reviews about how fantastic sounding tube preamps sound they could not live up to the expectations I had. Also the 3 amps I had may not have had any synergy with the tube preamps.

I just bought a pair of Welborne Moondogs 2A3 SET tube monoblocks that I am going to try with the Ground Grid tube preamp and see how it sounds. Once I try this combo I post a review.