What are the most important things to look for in matching center with fronts?

Wallace

What are the most important things to look for in matching center with fronts? Frequency response, tweeter material, type of horn, etc.... I've got a pair of 1996 Forte II's but need a center that comes closest to matching the sound of the Fortes. I am not getting the Academy or adding a Forte as the center )it' s out of my budget and they wont fit. I've been looking at KSC-C1, SC-1, and the SC.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A KLF-C7 would be a better alternative...I would highly recommend not

going with any of the ones you listed. A heresy would be the next

choice - though you might find it too large.

The most important thing is for as many of the components to be

identical as possible. So your ideal scenario (after another forte

which you can't do) would be a center channel with identical squaker

and tweeter - and then some other means of reproducing the lower

frequencies. I'm not sure of any models with identical parts so

building something yourself would probably be the only option.

Wallace,

I've used a KT-LCR THX-rated speaker as a center as well. With the tractrix horn, it might be a nice fit. They come up on Ebay for about $150-$200.

Here's one that didn't get any bids. You might contact the seller and offer $150 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-THX-KT-LCR-Speaker-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ5858091931QQcategoryZ94906QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To get the best timbre match, you want the same tweeter and squawker in the center as the mains, and the same crossover frequencies. Failing that, you want to be as similar as possible. IMHO a Heresy II would be a better match than a Heresy. FWIW you can always use a phantom center. It doesn't always work well, but in some cases it is hard to tell the difference between a phantom center and a real one. The center channel was introduced in theaters to tie the dialog to the center of the screen. On a big screen with just left and right channel speakers, the dialog didn't always seem to stay where it was supposed to. On a smaller screen at home, this is much less of a problem.

The good Doc has heard my rig. I'm very happy with my KLF-C7( with Kstack crossover by PopBumber of Forum fame). It matched up pretty well to my CW's and is now serving with a pair of LS for the time being.

What is important is the timbre, or voicing of the speaker. First it must keep up from an efficiency standpoint, or you will have to turn your mains way down to hear the important dialog. I think woofer material, horn type, and crossover points are somewhat critical.

Make no mistake, an exact match or a speaker intended for center use with your particular LR pair is always best, but sometimes not immediately available, won't fit the space, decor, or WAF, or budget. Close counts but there is nothing like an exact match. Nothing.

Michael