Combat : Klipsch VS Energy

martindemon

Hi,

I'm trying to decide which sub (and which system) to buy for my first home theater.

I'm almost decided about the receiver : Denon 1802. (I have to choose from : Denon, Onkyo, sony because my chosen store (where they sell klipsck) are only selling these and they have a special rabate for sets...)

Now the question : will i buy Klipsch or Energy speakers??? That's hard for me to decide... I'm seeking opinions. In my price range for now i can buy :

Klipsch : SF-2, SC1, SS1, KSW12 or

Energy : XL26, XLC2, XLR, XLS12

The prices are similar (Klipsch a bit more expensive.)

What i ask myself :

1) The frequency responses of these speaker systems ; are they stable from lowest to highest frequency or are they varying a lot like shown in this test?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf/Equipment/0904equiprep_sensations_lab.pdf

2) The Klipsch : -Do the treble really extend up 20kHz?

-Is the sub lacking deep bass?

-The sourrounds : is it a good idea to

spread the sound like this?

-Really, what's the minimum impedance

of the Klipsch speakers ; will my

denon drive them well?

3) The Energy : -Are they lacking sensibility vs the

Klipsch?

-Are they more equal in their response

from lowest to highest frequency

compared to the Klipsch?

4) The sub conception : Klipsch throws the waves directly to the floor while Energy throws them on the side. I have a wood floor ; will my neighbors kill me? Seriously, the subs are at the same price. Which design is better for a strong deep bass? Energy sub does not have control on phase ; is it really significant in the (practical) result?

Klipsch lovers and makers : Feel free to throw any technical details at me to help me decide! I'm buying a medium system for now but when i'll stabilize my cash flow, i'll go for the best serie of Klipsch (or Energy.)

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Martin de Montigny

------------------

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Martin - Your Denon choice will have no problem driving these speakers. I would venture to say that Denon is one of the more popular brands used with Klipsch, at least based on this board.

I'm sure the Energy are good speakers, as are the Klipsch. I think the key is what sounds best to you? It's easy to get lost in the specifications. Your ears are the final judge. Can you take each set home, listen in YOUR environment, and return the one you don't want? Listen with music and DVDs you are familiar with, and give them both a workout. That's the only way to know for sure.

Good luck-

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

I don't think anybody here is going to tell you what to buy. To find out which system is right for you, you need to listen to the systems. Maybe the dealer will even let you take both setups home, one at a time, to audition. Who knows, you might not like either one.

As far as your questions go...

Any speaker's response varies considerably across the frequency spectrum. The frequency response you experience will be different from what the manufacturer measured under laboratory conditions. And what you experience will vary from room to room, and point to point within a given room. There will be dips and peaks.

Treble does indeed go up to 20 kHz. Any decent mordern speaker is capable of doing this. Even the not so decent ones are. But you probably aren't capable of hearing it.

Some people like bipolar surrounds. The idea behind them is that they diffuse the sound instead of focusing it right at you. The idea is to approximate the effect of the multiple surround speakers in a theater. The signal arrives at your ear from different directions at different times. Some people like regular speakers pointed straight at the listener, or pointed in another direction to get the indirect sound. Some people even use multiple surround speakers on each side, just like in a theater.

Manufacturers do not generally publish minimum impedance of speakers, just the nominal impedance. Actual impedance varies from nominal, with different values at different frequencies, both higher and lower. As long as speaker impedance stays above about 2 ohms, almost all modern SS amps will be just fine.

Don't know a thing about Energy.

It really doesn't matter if the sub is floor firing or side firing. Either way, a properly designed sub is capable of generating plenty of bass. And, you are likely to disturb your neighbor either way. Phase switch is only a convenience. If the subwoofer is out of phase with the other speakers, you may hear less bass at frequencies that both the sub and the other speakers generate. Its easy enough to correct my changing the polarity of the wiring to the speakers.

very interesting little article there - once again, when it comes to specs, the Klipsch look like the "wild" boy of audio -

but what does the reviewer say about the sound?

what do you say about the sound?

failing to take both or one of the systems home with you, can you bring some of your best, worst and favorite CDs and compare the two systems back to back?

(the one you take home first has the best chance of staying there)

In my casual listening at dealers, I do not find a whole world of difference between entry level systems - go with the one that has the sound you love.

If you want the Klipsch to look its best, bring a set of piano, vocal, cymbals and horn solos to listen to ...

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-23-2001 at 07:26 AM

Because deep bass wavelengths are very large, it does not matter that one sub has the driver facing downward while the other faces forward, sideways or up. The energy radiates outward as if from a point, in all directions. The floor and nearby walls will reflect the bass back into the room regardless of driver position. You can listen to your main speakers from dead behind them and the bass will be just the same as from in front. Unwanted high frequency sound which should not come from a sub anyway, would be attenuated by a downfiring design. One benefit to a downfiring system is the designer always knows the distance to the nearest surface - it is the same as the height of the feet on the sub. One less variable to design around.

About 5 years ago, a good friend purchased some Energy brand HT speakers based upon the dealer's recommendation. I am unsure of the model number or the driver config but they stood about 18"- 24" tall.

During loud sounds (gunshots, explosions, drums, etc) the Energy speakers sounded like what I can only describe as cone over-excursion -- highly distorted to say the least. They lasted about 2 nights before he returned them.

I doubt any of the Klipsch speakers would exhibit this problem as the trademark Klipsch sound is to be able to play loudly w/o distortion.

Bottom line: Prior to purchasing Energy, make sure you can return them if you don't like them.

------------------

John Packard

I listened to a system that include :

XL-26 (front), XL-C2 (center), XL-16 (rear), XL-S10 (sub) powered by a denon 4802 (i would use a 1802 because i think it would be sufficient...) and the sound was very good! It sound like the sound i want. Good deep bass, clear high frequency (not too much), good center... I was listening to "Armageddon" and it was rocking. Also listened to some "Eric clapton" show. The klipsch are not yet ready for demo in the other store so i don't know about them yet... The only thing i know is that the salesman in this klipsch store also sells Energy systems and he personnally owns Klipsch Sf-1... So i must think again...

------------------

I listened to some large Energy floor standers in the local dealer showroom a few months ago.I asked my salesman to select HIS favorite speakers/receiver combo

in the store and lets do some jammin'.He picked the Energy's.He moved them out about 4-5 feet from the side and rear walls and played Eagles HFO and Holly Cole.They sounded great.Great imaging,if that's your bag.He said the Energy's were the speakers he would spend his money on.I spent mine on Klipsch.

Keith

Energy VS Klipsch

Each has its strong points and weaker ones.For those who will use mostly the system for moves the Klipsch has the edge.More output,less watts needed to reach high SPL.The Klipsch are more direct ashorn loaded tweeters project the highs at you.

Energy uses dome teeters mounted on the baffle,this enables you to sit less in the center and move around and not loose the highs as much.

The Energy is soft sounding,some prefer this.It tries to be a Dynaudio(its NOT).

For HT I prefer Klipsch(KLF,S and R series)over Mirage,Paradigm and Energy.

For music Dynaudio and Spendor(more refined),the Dynaudios have a incredible top end.So detailed it makes Energy(even Veritas)lacking in comparison.

Then again speakers are a very personal choice,listen and decide yourself.Both are good brands

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

For music Dynaudio and Spendor(more refined),the Dynaudios have a incredible top end.So detailed it makes Energy(even Veritas)lacking in comparison.

Thank you for your opinions. But the price of Dynaudio speakers if way too high for me now (perhaps when i really work ; now i'm finishing my studies...) The Energy xl-26 (or Klipsch sf-2) is almost the same price of a bookshelf Dynaudio cwm24.gif I'll probably stick with "midfi" material for now.

cwm11.gif

------------------