what center channel and sub would you use with cornwalls as the front main?

mam

i want to use my existing cornwalls that are 14 yrs old as the front main channel so what center would i use? (i have the reccomendation from the dealer and klipsh just wanted some end user opinion) also i would love to use the top end rws sub but the budget and room size (16x14 or 14x12, small for sure) dictate the kws5. will this work out? i am a bit nervouse based on a posting of one person not liking their selection of the reference series products using yamaha electronics since i was going to use either the rxv 1200 (80w) or rxv 2200 (100w). btw the rear surrounds (please dont laugh) will be my trusty radio shack optimus 990's that are 10 yrs old.

mam,

I would look for a good used heresy to go with your cornwalls for a center. In fact, if you could get two pairs, you'd have a center, plus left, center & right surrounds. You'd be in one level of klipsch heaven. If the heresy won't fit with the tv, I'd look for a klf-c7 on ebay.

------------------

JDMcCall

Hmm, Hersey would be just about perfect with Cornwall. Same tweeter and squawker. However, 14 years old would indicate Cornwall II which had different components. I think Academy might be best bet then. Alternatives would be KV-4 and KLF-C7. Heresy and KLF-C7 are easy to find. Academy, and more so KV-4, are harder to find.

I use the KLF-C7 with my cornwalls (see pic) and like it a lot! I dont have anything to compare it to though. This is my 1st foray into real HT. This great speaker can be bought new for $249 + shipping if you look around on the internet.

I do not have a sub and so far am unsure if I even need one. The cornwalls really do a great job IMO on the bass. Without a sub I still sometimes have the neighbors banging on my ceiling (their floor) when the volume is on 3 or higher!

In my opinion the heresey looks a bit out of place laying on its side on top of a TV. I would not use it for that reason alone.

Let us know what you do!cwm40.gif

------------------

Ubid SUX. Be very wary if you use them.

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 10-23-2001 at 06:59 AM

Try the Yamaha and see if you like it: one man's cold tomato soup, is another man's gazpacho -

I would still go for the more powerful sub, since the big old horns do a great job of mid and upper bass, but like most full-range speakers, they do not have any of the thunderous sub-bass that today's movies use. IMO you get more of the HT experience with lots of bass than with lots of speakers. Since you can create a stereo center with two L/R speakers w/o the center channel speaker and you can get most of the rear effects with most speakers, but you can not get the thump of gunshots or the moan of the last piano octave with out a powerful sub-bass woofer ...

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-23-2001 at 08:25 AM

my rear C7 blends real well with those corns. could always EQ it a lil but i've found no need. just upped the level some.

got it from ubid for around $290 total. arrived within a week of winning auction no problems. same w/ the acurus amp.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 tuner/preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!

I am currently running a RC3 with my Cornwall mains and Heresy surrounds. I notice a slight difference (mainly during the white noise test signals) but nothing distracting. If it helps my plan is to get another pair of Heresys for front and rear center channels. I may go to all Heresys also when I build my dedicated HT Room due to size issues. I would then leave the Cornwalls as a two channel system.

EDIT: My SVS 29-30CS woofer blenads in very nicely with the Cornwalls.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 10-23-2001 at 11:32 AM